suggestions for shrubs needed

Gooding, ID(Zone 5a)

I tried to search in PD but only came up with lead plant and dog berry. What would someone suggest for some attractive shrubbery, with blooms (but not yellow, red, orange), not prickly or "dirty", not too attractive to bees, and mature growth about 2-3' or so (or can be kept about that size). My friend wants to place some attractive shrubs in front of her house, right in front of her deck. With it being an active walkway, it shouldn't attract bees, and she doesn't want it to grow higher than the deck floor. I'm at a loss as to what to suggest!

Thanks!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Below are two of my favorites....I have these both growing around our hottub, and they never get in the way of the cover. Also both are easily pruned to the size desired should they get larger than your friend wants.

Deutzia, Slender
Duetzia gracilis
Zones 4-8
2-4’ tall x 3-4’ wide
Low growing broadly mounded flowering shrub with slender arching branches. Free flowering showy blooms are bright white/pink in late spring. Summer foliage is bright green and finely textured. Easy to grow and maintain, very adaptable and problem free. Makes and excellent low hedge, foundation planting or shrub border addition.

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

___OR_____

Caryopteris, Blue Mist
Caryopteris x clandonensis
'Blue Mist'
Zones 5-7
3’ tall x 3’ wide
Low growing mounded almost herbaceous shrub that adorns summer landscapes with lovely bright blue flowers. Finely textured foliage is silvery-green in summer becoming yellowish in autumn. Easy to grow in loose, well drained soils. Cut back in late winter since flowers are borne on new growth. Makes an excellent addition to the shrub or perennial border.

Thumbnail by RikerBear

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.