Another giant moth

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is a polyphemus, the second largest moth in North America. The first I've seen, he came to visit last night. This is a male, as indicated by the much broader antennea than those of the female. There is some wing damage on the left side. These guys only fly in the dark hours.

Living in the country is sure broadening my education!

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

A close up of the antennea.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Bad hair day.

Thumbnail by tigerlily

DH would totally freak!
I'm trying to teach the kid not to be afraid of insects but it is very tough when both dad and grandmom overreact dramatically to even gnats.

Sheila

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! What a beautiful moth!

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

I found 2 of these moths on my boat this AM. Very beautiful & big! Bj

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

That is incredibly like our Emperor Gum Moth (Opodiphthera helena), here in Australia.

Thumbnail by kennedyh

Here is the Emperor Gum Moth's caterpillar

Thumbnail by kennedyh
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

How big is he? I would say this fellow has had a rough life.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

kennedyh, how big is that cat? And the moth? They do look very much alike. Thats amazing!
On the polyphemus the upper eyes are transparent though.

MaryE, the polyphemus can have a wingspan up to 5½", and the cat can be 4½-5" long. Rough life? They only live for two weeks. I think my fella tangled w/ a bird. When I find them I bring them in, 'cause the birds have a feast in the morning at my house. The dusk to dawn light attracts so many moths. I would never have one again because of that. I'd rather be able to shut it off.

The Emperor Gum Moth has a wingspan of 13 to 15 cm (5 to 6 ins). The caterpillar is up to 8.5 cm (3.5 ins). Here is another picture that gives an idea of its size. Taken in Tasmania in January 1975. My eldest son Keith in the picture was then nearly 6.

Thumbnail by kennedyh
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, kennedyh! Bet your son had a difficult time holding still for that photo. ;-) That must have tickled.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.