Wanted: Loofa Seeds

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I'd love to try and grow some loofa gourds. Anyone have any seeds to spare? I have some Apple Gourd seeds I harvested last fall to trade. I didn't grow the apple gourds, so I can't promise 100% germination on them. Thanks!

Crossville, TN

You have mail
Jo

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

When we (SIL & I) went up to Piney Woods Party, we were told that gourd seeds are good for up to 100 YEARS!
I had some loffa seeds that MaVie had sent me a couple yrs ago that turned up in my move. I planted about 6 in sponges. They came up fine. So, I planted them in qt pots & set them out with my 300+/- Silverleaf maples.
Guess what! Deer like loffa vines. Don't know if they will come back or not.
I have found my first problem w/my new house. Those beautiful creatures are sampling my plants. Not good!!!
:~)

Crossville, TN

Gardengirl...how did your Louffa's do? Jo

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Jo, you gave me some gourd seeds at last summer's east-TN round-up.

I didn't use them then. But this spring I planted them inside under my kitchen grow lights, and the luffa have an excellent start! I have one kettle gourd seedling that's doing well, too. I'll use the other seeds next year or I'll share them with other gardeners. Thanks again!

Crossville, TN

Lois...glad to hear that...and glad to see your post...we do have to keep this forum ALIVE!! Or U-no-hoo will take it away...LOL

I'm still waiting to hear of your schedule for this summer...Jo

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Jo, I had louffas coming out of my ears!!!! I actually gave a lot of the seeds away here a few months ago and still had about 15 whole ones left. I took them to my Master Gardeners plant sale last weekend and sold them for a $1. I'tm trying egg gourds, basket gourds and swan gourds this year. I want to do apple gourds to but I broke my one seedling taking it out of the starter pot.

Thanks again for the great seeds!

GG

Crossville, TN

Thanks for the up date...Did you take any pictures?? If so, you could add them to the PF

I broke a little seedling once and since it was still hanging on to the main plant by a thread, I took a tooth pick and used it as a splint and it actually lived!! Call me Gourd Doc...LOL

Glad you got some good Louffa's.

Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I sent you a message, too, for the luffa seeds. If you didn't get any yet, I'll get them started the deno way and get them on their way to you if you send me your addy ☺

London, KY

oooh, I would love to have some Luffa and Swan gourd seeds if anyone has any they would want to trade for Birdhouse or Apple gourd seeds.

Connie

Crossville, TN

Connie...you got it! Will email you this evening...Tired right now and a nap is calling...LOL jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.