Where can I purchase inoculant for snap peas?

Mesilla Park, NM

I planted two big sacks of them about two months ago and they are doing terrible.. so, I decided to plant some more and then read the back of the package where it says to use inoculant.. does anyone know where can I buy some of this?

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

I ran across Bean and Pea Inoculant in "The Cooks Garden" catalog.
$3.50 for a 1.5 oz. pouch.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Any farm store and even most nurseries that sell seeds should have innocculant.Ernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Gourd, if you've grown peas before you should have the bacteria in the ground already and not really need the inoculant. Your peas may be suffering from another reason. (That inoculant mainly helps to create more growth/peas, not necessarily to allow growth. Peas will make their own N, altho a kickstart of something mild will encourage them in their early stages.)

What do they look like now? If you planted them two months ago they should be up and flowering by now. What kind of peas? Are they staked/trellised? What's the weather been like there? (many factors involved here.)

Can you give us some more info?

Mesilla Park, NM

They did germinate and got about 6 inches tall, then they just quit growing, so, this weekend I put in some granular fertlizer and watered them. Now they look burnt. Some had a few buds, but they just sulked. The weather here has been fluxuating anywhere from 20 to 40 degree difference some days all within 24 hours. It goes from 65 to 90 in one day, the back down, so maybe they go dormant or just quit. The other thing is most of the soil in that bed is compost, maybe that is the reason. They are in raised beds, and I have a fence about 12 inches high made out of some meshed wire all around the beds, then on top of that I concocted some sort of string/twine trellis for them.. will take a photo in the morning. I thought maybe the bugs were eating the seeds from the bottom or something, some did not come up at all. Also, there is a tree that might be giving them too much shade. I am at my witts end..lol. there is stilll plenty of time to start over I think.

fishfly66 and eweed,
Thanks for the sources of innoculant..

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi Gourd, I planted sugar snap peas this winter. Although they did not do well at all, I'm not gonna offer any advice. I will offer an observation.

After I planted mine, the squirrels came in and dug up a lot of them and took them, buried them in many other places. Snap pea vines were growing everywhere. They did get about 5 ft tall, each plant grew 2 or 3 peas, then went crispy. My beans didnt do well either. I guess next winter I will have to give them the east fence.

:^)
Molly

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Gourd, sounds like you have a pretty good setup to me! With all that compost, if it is well finished I'm even more convinced you won't need any inoculant. Sounds to me like it's the weather...peas love the cooler weather like your nites of 60 but hate hot weather like your days of 90. Not only will they stop growing but they will not produce viable flowers. The only exception is a variety called "Wando" peas...they are known to be heat tolerant and will produce during the hot months.

Is there a time of year out there when it stays consistently cooler?

Also to get good germination I tend to soak my seeds in water for an hr or so, sometimes more but keep an eye on them to make sure they don't soak too long and get mushy.

Mesilla Park, NM

This is what they look like.. some just dried up.
NO Laughing at my building..lol. I used the leftover rails from the carts I bought at Costco. They remind me of the rails they use on the beds at hospitals so you won't fall out. I stuck them inside around the raised beds and tied them to the little fence so that I could have a place to put rows of twine.. here goes..

Molly, maybe we need to plant this in the winter like you say.

Edited for spelling......
This message was edited Apr 27, 2004 12:28 PM

This message was edited Apr 27, 2004 12:47 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Another shot.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Even the radishes did terrible..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Last shot. Shoe, you are probably right on about the compost, it may not have been cooked enough also on top of the heat. This is the biggest they ever got and only a few. The rest struggled and dried up.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

What impressive beds! You really put some time into making those! Good job! I like em!

Well, if the compost was still cooking that would do it. It also looks like lots of bark or leaves in there (hard for my eyes to be sure sometimes). Have you ever done a pH test? Just to be sure and possibly have one more thing to rule out.

Hoping your mater and peppers plants do good. Let us know, okay?

Mesilla Park, NM

It's 101 degrees here today.. in the shade.. way too hot.. Well, I did get a little testing kit about a year ago and have not tried to used it, I guess it's time to bring it out. The leaves in there are from a Eucalyptus tree that is next to the beds and it sheds alot of twigs, buds, and leaves into them. Guess I will have to wait September to plant a new snap pea crop. That is when this horrid heat stops or rather slows down. We get over 100-117 in the summer here for about three months (usually June, July, And August), but it looks like it is here early. It is not even May yet.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

wow! Please tell me you got AC in your house!

That is definitely too hot for peas, especially snap peas. (When you say 'snap peas', are you referring to Sugar Snaps? Garden Peas/English peas? Your pics could look like either of them.)

I was curious about your winters (never been to Calif). Is it like Florida there?

I know walnut trees have an effect on germination and growth of plants but don't know alot about Eucalyptus....wonder if it does also.

K, Here we go, giving up on that small crop of sugar snaps and green beans. I would like to grow them in the winter next time. I will give them the east fence, I promise.

Important question, how far in advance can I buy the seeds....how long will they keep in the package?

Geesh Gourd, it's way too hot way to early there.

Molly

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, I thought California was all tropical...NOT... I live in the desert.. about 30 miles west of Palm Springs (desert).. I should stick to cactus and raising snakes or something.. There is absolutely no humidity here, sometimes some fog, but I do get high winds, and lots of heat. I am originally from Northern New Mexico and I thought 70 was hot. Actually, everybody thinks 70 is hot there..

There are beautiful places here in CA to live near the ocean, the closer you get to the ocean, the cooler it is and they say you don't even need an ac or heaters. (We get frosts too), I live in a climate that can grow cherries, we get the chill time. The best time here where I live and San Bernardino is probably September thru April, then it's down hill from there for me. My poor dogs suffer too.. see, this is Dusty, one of the three goldens we have... lots of fur, and lots of hose baths at least once a week in the summer. She's taking a break.

edited: sometimes I put a bag of ice in their trough of water. And have even given them popsicles.. they love it.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2004 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd

I love your dogs Antoinette. My exboyfriend had Sparky and AJ, a blondie and a redhead. Both have passed on now, I really loved them too. Goldies are wonderful

Molly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.