Info please: Red Cardinal Vine

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Anyone grow this lovely vine? I recieved some seed as a bonus in a trade, and would like a bit more info than the database is providing. I soaked 10 seeds, than paper towel germinated them, and 8 sprouted. These are now 4 inches high and in my cold frame.
Any idea how fast these grow? Will 4 seedlings per planter be too crowded? ( 18 inch planter boxes w/trelis )

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

bump..............

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Wish I could help ya Mark, Im sure someone will be along. Ive seen some beautiful pictures here, so I KNOW you arent the only one growing it. :o)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Shelly...hopefully someone will have some more info for me...or I'll just wing it :-)

Marc

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Lottsa luck with seeds. I have had a plant for 8 years +. Have followed everything anyone has told me, it has NEVER bloomed. Was told it needs to grow up and hang over..... so DH put up a trellis it has hung over now for 2 yrs. still nothing! I'm getting tired of all the space it is taking up, 4' wide x 6' to 10' tall, with nothing to show for it. At one point, (as Jerry Baker told), cut into roots and poured epsom salts water on roots.

Sorry, know you wanted to hear something a bit better.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Didn't like that at all! LOL :-)
Maybe I'll mix a couple different vines in with it for bloom till it decides to bloom itself.
Thanks for the warning/info.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes pretty, but it's a weed here in GA, re-seeds all over the place.. It covers here bad as Morning Glory's and kudzu, lol.. I spray and pull and then leave a few along the back fences,,

Larkie

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Larkie: Does it ever bloom for you? What am I not doing right?

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

We don't have to do anything to it here, it is an invasive weed..It grows all over every thing..Roadside included.. Mine blooms from now until frost or til Round-Up kills it, lol..It needs full sun and hot weather..

Larkie

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks. Mine grows like a weed, just has never bloomed in full sun. Maybe Ohio is not hot enough for it? It's sure hot enough for me!

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

I just bought a Cardinal vine but it was in the form of a tubor or root stock. The label said it may not pop up this year(I didnt read that part until I got it home sadly), but would next year. We will soon see I hope.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm not sure if you're taking about the Cardinal Climber vine or not. I've had Cardinal Climbers for the past 3 yrs and it's done great. I soak the seeds (just like Morning Glories) and plant them directly into the dirt next to my arbor leading into my garden in mid April. They take a while to sprout and then are slow to grow for the first 4 or 5 inches. Then it takes off like gang-busters! It has tons of red trumpet flowers the hummers go crazy for. I do have it in full hot sun.

I grew Maiden's Hair Vine last year because I liked the feathery look. It grew OK, and although it had red, white and pink blooms, it didn't go wild like the Cardinal Climber. I'm back to CC this year.

This pic is of the CC from 2 yrs ago. There's a Hummer in the middle. I'll post the Maiden's Hair vine too.

This message was edited May 10, 2004 4:10 PM

Thumbnail by Gardengirl1204
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's the Maiden's Hair vine plus Morning Glories on the same arbor from last year....

This message was edited May 10, 2004 4:10 PM

Thumbnail by Gardengirl1204

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.