Apple Blossom Grass 'Siskiyou Pink' (Gaura lindheimeri)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Apple Blossom Grass 'Siskiyou Pink'
Gaura lindheimeri

This 'Siskiyou Pink' gaura is just producing longer stem blooms as the temperature warms up. The dark green leaves and the new maroon colored leaves along with the maroon colored buds nicely contrast with the foliage color of other perennials in the background. Shown in April. (San Antonio, Tx.)

Edited for grammatical error.

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 12th 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by htop
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

You're right! Nice contrast. Another addition to my wish list!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

When the weather really warms up a lot, there is not as much of the deep maroon color. Now the plant has more green to it. Thanks for your comments.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

htop, Great picture, I bought Siskiyou Pink a couple of years ago. It just wasn't happy here. I have lots of the original Gaura, it selfseeds easily. Donna

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Beautiful plant. I love the wild look of them when they get large. I was just telling someone that this was not in the database and we should do something about it.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Donna, I am sorry that the Siskiyou Pink didn't work out for you, but am happy that you have ones native to your area. Thanks for your comments.

frogsrus, I love to watch the blooms peacefully wave in the wind. thanks for your comments.

This message was edited Sunday, Jun 13th 8:05 PM

Starks, LA

Today was the first time I had ever seen the Siskiyou Pink. It looked like something butterflies and possibly hummingbirds would enjoy so I bought it in the one gallon size knowing that I could find complete information on it here at Dave's Garden. I'm glad to hear it is a long blooming heat lover.

Orland Park, IL

I had never seen this until last week when I came across it at the nursery. I liked it so much I bought 2. When I went home and planted them, I went back for 3 more. Beautiful

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

They are really beautiful. I hope yours do well fro you. Thanks for your comments.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

htop. Have you seen the sa plant swap thread? I would love some seeds or a cutting of this one. I have one simular but it isn't as strong looking... mine is more willowy

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I am sorry to report that I had these growing in large containers and they were stolen last week along with several of my other plants that were in containers. Otherwise, I would be happy to share them with you. I do not think that I have saved any seeds; however, I will check for you. Rainbow Gardens on Bandera Road, here in San Antonio, has some.

That's terrible. It has gotten so you can't leave anything out without a lock on it.

thanks. I will go by there. I just love the flowers of this and butterflies are crazy about it. But with the pic you posted it looks like a different varient than the one I have.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

When I bought mine, they were in large containers and there are several plants in each container which made them very closely spaced. I have one of the variegated type and it is not very "full". The dark leaf coloration appears in cool weather.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

htop,

As always I appreciate your postings! This looks so pretty I'm inclined to try to find some around SA. THANKS!

Tir, I got mine from Hill Country Gardens in case you can't find any here... I'm going to try to see if I can propagate mine though.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Tir_Na_Nog, thanks for your kind comment.
renatelynne, I have been wanting to visit Hill Country Gardens. I hear they have some great plant selections. I hope that you are able to propagate yours.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

I am interested in this plant as host for the White lined Sphinx Moth larvae...has anyone observed this?
Thanks!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, yes! Two little guys mowed down my whole plant last year in a short period of time.

Austin, TX

htop - thank you **so much** for this perfect picture. It allowed me to positively identify 2 plants I bought this spring, unnamed, on sale at a nursery. The foliage description is as important as the bloom color/conformation. Now I know what is thriving and blooming up a storm in my butterfly garden.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You are quite welcome. I am glad the photo was of assistance to you. Thank you for your comments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.