Planting trees in early summer

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm looking for advice on my brand new garden, which I should be able to start planting in about 4 weeks (end May). I need several trees in the front to make the house look less like a new construction in a bare yard. I'm hoping to get four 6-8ft crabapples, which will be the biggest single expense in the yard. I don't want to miss out on a growing season if I can help it, but I don't want such a big investment to die, either... Do you think I am taking a huge risk planting trees at this time of year in central Mississippi?

Natasha

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Dear trifunov,
Unless you have an endless supply of water this summer, I would not recommend it!
I'm in N.E. GA and I have good success Fall planting trees.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Berrygirl. Perhaps I should just put the turf down now, and concentrate on watering that until fall.

Natasha

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

You can plant now. Just make certain that you mulch very well. I prefer pine bark, but most any bark mulch will do. Just make certain it's about 3" thick except up around the trunk Before getting the crabapples, make certain that they are very resistant to fireblight. I have just had to do some serious pruning on one of mine that I bought from Wall Mart on the spur of the moment.

Here are some alternative suggestions that you might want to look at:

Cornus kousa
Prunus 'Okame'
Amelanchier sp.
Styrax sp.
Prunus mexicana

I can provide other great trees for this area if you would like. I'm just down the road in Vicksburg and am growing a number of seldom used but nevertheless great trees for this area. I highly recommend going over to Barne's Brothers Nursery in Jackson as they offer some great, seldom used plants that will allow for something other than the same ole same ole that you see for most home landscaping.

You can check out pictures of my Mexican plum at http://davesgarden.com/j/viewentry/10729/. This is a fairly old picture. We made plum jelly from it last year and it was and is outstanding. A great, great tree. I have a number of seedlings that I will gladly give to you.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Wow, CopperBaron, your house and yard is just gorgeous. If mine looks anything like as good as yours after four years I will be thrilled. I will definitely go to Barne's Brothers Nursery. I'm going to spend a few days researching the trees you recommend, thankyou for your offer of seedlings, I'll e-mail you when I have done a bit of reading...

Natasha

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I've decided to try some Robinson's crabapples - the main reason being that my DH wanted pink flowers. I checked the Robinson crabapples again, and they are resistant to fireblight, as well as being fast growing, so I'm going to ask the local nursery to order them for me and try to get them in the ground as soon as possible (with lots of mulch, as you suggested). Thanks again.
Natasha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.