Penstemon 'Huskers Red' missing...

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Can't find my penstemon. I just planted it last fall so I'm wondering if I lost it or if it's a sleepyhead. Everything else is up except one hosta, platycodon (notorious for sleeping in!) and the penstemon. Anyone in z4-z5 have their's up yet?

Hate to say it Kooger, but even mine is showing signs of life. Also the P. barbatus.

echoes

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

mines way up here in michigan!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

oh rats! guess I'll quit looking for growth in that spot!! (can't spell today)

This message was edited Apr 26, 2004 12:14 AM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I think it stays evergreen in most locations. If you don't see it it's prolly a goner. Penstemons are sensitive to wet winter conditions. I've had some plants pull through the cold snowy winter only to succumb to the cold wet spring.

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

I have tons of penstemon sour grapes plants coming up if you would like some?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

terre i would luv some sour grape ones-i lost those 2yrs ago!
lmk
dori

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I would appreciate having some too. Can I send you postage? or tiger lilies, no-name green hostas, no-name gr/wh. hostas, globe thistle?

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Kooger: I have some Huskers Red, I can bring them to the RU for ya. Let me know and they are yours.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Thank you, Thank you Debby! I just dug and planted your Tiger Lilies today! I got about 10-12 in a pot? Did you want more than that? I can easily fill another pot full? Laura

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Kooger and Notmartha, you are both welcome to some. Capturing all the seeds to these is impossible, so it comes up everywhere! Send me an email and we'll work something out!

Terre

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Kooger: You are most welcome. 10 to 12 tiger lilies are more than ample, I didn't expect that many. But will gladly take them. See you then, the rush is almost on, so much to do.

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

I double your "rats"!

I have the same problem, I was looking and hoping and checking . . . nothing.

I had one the year before and the same thing happened, so this time I purchased a larger one hoping it would have a better chance of making it.

I was almost going to give up -- but now that I see that you all are in zones colder than mine! I am going to try again -- they are just so darn pretty!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I now have a beautiful Husker Red (Ia RU was yesterday) Yipee! Thank-you very much, Debby! Poppysue thinks maybe it's the cold wet spring? they don't like wet feet? would that be your situation this spring?

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Kooger and Notmartha, your sourgrapes are dug and boxed, going in tomorrows mail. I've never lost them but it may very well be that I have them in a very well drained soil. (Well drained is polite, it's mostly rock.) Maybe you could add some gravel to the spot where you plant them?

I meant to write -- the ones I lost were 'Garnet' and 'Rondo'.
Yes, that is the situation here, but I tried to plant it incorporating sand and put it in the top of my rock garden which gets good drainage. I think I may have planted it too late in the year, both times I planted it in early September. :(

This message was edited May 3, 2004 9:51 AM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I've got my Husker Red growing in mostly shade--it's already a foot high. The Sour Grapes clumps look great this year too.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

very pretty, Wanda!

Wanda, that is just lovely. I just put in 'Ruby Tuesday' from the co-op. Hope it will does well this time.

Thumbnail by Alyssum

I like the contrast of the red stems & foliage among my hosta. The white flowers also brighten up this shade area.

I LOVE the purple of the Sour Grapes in my sun gardens. Remind me of snapdragons...

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Kooger and Notmartha,

You didn't get your packages, because I just found them in the back seat of the (recently murdered) child who promised to go to the post office. Obviously, this particular child will get only plastic flowers on her grave.

In any event, more on the way, as soon as I get them dug and repackaged.

Terre

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

:)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

LOL kidz!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Terre---- Alas, a mom's job is NEVER done!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi, got the package and potted them up for now. Not sure where I'm going to put them - couple ideas roaming around the noggin. thanks so very much!!!!!

Sour Grapes is getting ready to bloom & look great next to the iris. How I love SPRING!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.