Coming to UK/Ireland this Summer

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I just booked the ferry tickets for us and the car, for 3rd June, from Kristiansand (Norway) to Newcastle (England). We will be there on 4th June then. Now I looked at the prices for ferries to Ireland and back, and they are just horrible!! Over 100 €... Our Norway-England ferry cost 343 € (230 £).

Has any of you travelled from the UK to Ireland and vice versa? How much did you pay for the tickets? Know a source for cheaper ones?

This is how our route would be basically - I don't have any idea of the sights there, only know Stonehenge which I want to see for sure ;)

Thumbnail by Evert
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

That looks like an interesting voyage! How much time are you allowing for diversions to visit places? A trip to Edinburgh would be a good idea and doesn't look too far out of your way. The Borders of Scotland are prettier than its central belt though (Scotland's Central Belt is heavily industrial). Hope you enjoy the trip!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Our route plans are still all "open", so visiting some cities wouldn't be a bad idea. How is Glasgow like? I think we could spend the first night there, what do you think?

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

I have family (an aunt and cousins) living in Glasgow. I still prefer Edinburgh though. Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and a very beautiful and historic city. If your route takes you near or through Edinburgh you may very well regret not taking the opportunity to visit it. You should visit the Edinburgh Castle, and walk along the Royal Mile and Princes Street. Edinburgh has an open-top bus service that takes tourists round the town in about an hour. I highly recommend it!

Glasgow is good too though. It's also historic and interesting. It probably depends on what speed you want to make on your journey. The Central Belt between Edinburgh and Glasgow is extremely busy so you won't travel as fast as you've predicted.

My father and sister were born in Edinburgh, and my mother from a village just a few miles away.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2004 7:42 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.