Lily Lovers II

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok anahi here is the continuation of the thread. Since I don't have a digital I have no pictures to share. I will try to paint a word feast instead!

Most of my asiatics are deep green and about 4-6 inches tall, they along with the slightly slower orientals are nestled into a bed of allium, daylily, foxtail lily, and globe thistle. They have recently been joined by several plantings of crocosmia 'Lucifer' and are awaiting the transplants of moss rose and baby's breath.

I am still waiting on the Scarlet Turk's Caps to show themselves and I fear the worst. My martagons have broken the soils surface and are timidly (so far) reaching for the sky. They decided (I believe) that the weather was just a bit too fickle for them and have stayed snuggled down in the mulch.

Looking forward to purchasing a digital so I can share my at the moment photos also.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

dear lilyfan,
what an absolutely beautiful description. thank you. it was far better than a picture. :) i love words and i appreciate when someone has a gift like you to describe things so well.

iowaron, i found some plants for you....gotta love this description of heuchella ... "you can plant it in the woodland garden with confidence that only a starving herd of deer will consider touching it!" LOL

my backyard abutts the wood and i thank my lucky stars, every day that i have no problems with rabbits, squirrels or deer. now if i can just get rid of those moles that twist my ankle and make tunnels for the voles that break my plant loving heart.

oh yes back to lilies. i put some new stakes into the ground yesterday. they are the metal ones with the vinyl coating oiver them. i picked then up at ocean state job lots, for 59 cents for the 24" and 69 cents for the 36". then they had these bendable Y ones, i'll use on some others too. i gave them some fertilizer too. most are doing well, there are a few no shows i will have to replace. hopefully we'll be getting some rain in the next couple of days.
ta ta for now.........
debi z

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

(Sigh) You ladies leave me breathless...
Ron

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank you llilyfan for starting a new thread!!!!! you have no idea how happy that makes me! It was taking so long for my computer to pull it up, that I could do some dishes and make the bed while I waited...LOL Maybe that was not such a bad thing?! LOL Loved the word feast!

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Okay, I don't know much about lilies, but I know they're beautiful! Lenjo was kind enough to trade with me some time ago and sent me bulbs for these gorgeous flowers. They have multiplied quickly and I just saw buds on the plants yesterday. Yay!

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

iowaron,
the following is from wayside garden tips. this peron won 2nd place for there tip and yes it has to do with deer deterants. maybe is will work for you
We've had quite the problem with deer eating our bushes and flowers. I've tried every natural deterrent that I've heard about and every stinky spray on the market, and none worked for long. And, we didn't care for the look of an electric fence surrounding our property.

Now, I think we've finally found the answer -- 50 lb. fishing line! We strung it around our flowers, beds and gardens, and it is working great! It doesn't look bad, and best of all, it doesn't cost a lot. We used two strands of line, one about 18" off the ground and the other about 36". We used it also to cut off the normal walk-ways the deer have been using to cross our property. Bushes that were eaten down to sticks are now leafing out again.

Just be sure that when you string it around that you do not entirely circle a tree with the fishing line as that would probably harm the tree. We have our lines going around birdfeeder poles, fence posts, and things like the birdbaths and light poles. Good Luck!

debi_z, Thank you for the kind words.

anahi, do you think DH will notice the dishes aren't done or the bed made now?

Well the last of my lily bulbs arrived today and they are now nestled down into the soil waiting for the suns warmth to penetrate and cause them to lift their noses to the surface. Mr. and Mrs. Robin were my planting companions this afternoon. I really think they were more interested in the worms, but we did get all 26 bulbs in the ground, along with some peacock orchids and tuberoses and dahlias. The beds I was working in are only 6fy wide and the robins were going from newly covered hole right after I finished putting the soil back and even came within 2 ft to get a worm I threw one of them. It was really neat to have them so close and trusting.

Both I and the robins were worn out by the 60 mph winds that were 'wafting' across the yard. Most of my plants were bowed by the constant wind today but so far only a few iris bloom stalks have been broken off and a limb out of the neighbors tree, which fell in my shade bed, and surprisingly didn't harm anything! I'll check for dehydration tomorrow and hopefully the approaching rain will make all the plants happy again.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

LOL llilyfan, nah! I get the bed made while I wait for 'Show me your iris'. LOL Don't change that one, or nothing will ever get done in the house. Tee Hee! If the truth be told, I'd much rather be outside digging up a new flower bed than inside making the bed. Anyone else have that problem?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

what 's cleaning in spring, summer and fall? for that matter what is cooking, laundry, etc? LOL yep much rather be outdoors any old day of the week.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

What is it with you people?!? Here I am reading that you get plants or bulbs in the mail and they're in the ground by evening??? Don't you know they're supposed to line your driveway for a couple of weeks until you can get around to them, thereby showing off to all your neighbors just how truly busy you really are? Get with it, out there!! ;-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hey pins2006, i'm with you. i've got them outside, inside and on the screen porch! lol

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

It's sooo darned easy and fun to shop for and buy the plants! The hard part is trying to figure out where you're gonna put them once you get them home. so many beautiful plants so little time and space. LOL! :) I have a sister who lives in Texas and she's going to Argyle Iris this weekend...I'm sooo envious!

Maybe that is where I was going wrong! I had boxes in the refrigerator instead of the driveway! DH would check the fridge for some thing to eat and come away saying 'there's no room in there for food-what's for supper?' LOL

Just to let you know I do have boxes stacked on the front porch that still need to be planted so anyone coming to the door sees all the 'work' ahead of me. Have I been redeemed yet?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Lillyfan, you're definitely one of the redeemed, and so are you, debi_z. lol....

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i always say, i'm going to do this and this today. then i get to working in the garden doing something and there is always something else that takes my time. yesterday i wanted to get my pansies in. i started planting and then i ran into tree roots, well then i notice that the perennials are looking a bit choaked, so i pull out the shasta daisy and then of course i'm pulling more tree roots. meanwhile it got dark out and i kept having to go over to the garage automatic light and walk in front of it, so i could see what i was doing. well i got the pansies all in but it took me a lot longer than i thought it would. and the shasta daisy is in a pot, because i have many more roots to pull. now i need to get those viola's in and the.......... and ..... and.....

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

hello everyone!!!! first let me say HAPPY BIRTHDAY IOWARON!!!!! (: Hope u have a wonderful day! ...

ok now lilyfan i wanted to show u an update on those rose tigerlilies....they are allllllmost ready to bloom!!!! whooo-hooooo
chrissy

Thumbnail by cici77

!Anticipation is keeping me waiting! For more pictures when they open!!

I have visible buds on a couple of mine now, I'm getting excited to see my first lily blossom this year.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry I missed your big day, Iowaron, but happy birthday anyway!

LimeyLisa Kay

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

cici77, i'm looking forward to seeing pictures. another 6 weeks or so for lilies to start blossoming here, but i am content with my spring bulbs that are bringing me great joy. the world around me is blossoming and turning green again, from the bare browns of the woods and garden beds. i often think of moving to a warm year round climate, but i know, as much as i hate winter, i would miss the rebirth of spring each year here.

happy b day ron. how young are you dear?
debi z

Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

hi debi z ... we get the change of seasons just not as dramatic as u guys do... and it doesnt last as long... anyway i have pics.... my lily bloomed yesterday!!!! here are the pics from yesterday and i am waiting for more sunshine this morning before i take pics of the several more flowers that are open this morning...(:

Thumbnail by cici77
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

another pic...

Thumbnail by cici77
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

last pic until i take more this mornin...(:
chrissy

Thumbnail by cici77

Lovely chrissy! and next year they will be bigger and better. I like the contrasting foliage, it gives interest to the beds even when nothing is blooming.

Keep the pics coming!
Sue

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

The Easter Lilies are finally blooming!!

My first lilies of the season ... =)

Cheri'

Thumbnail by sundry
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

But here's the heart breaker -

I found this when I was taking the picture above. =( This is the 4th lily our dog breaks so far this year. I'm so mad, I could skin him ....

Anyone want to trade lily bulbs for a yellow dog skin? *sniff*

Cheri'

PS don't worry, the dog is fine ... in the house, but fine ....

Thumbnail by sundry
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh Cherí!!! I wonder if you could put up some of that ugly, wire fence that comes in a roll? It's about 1-1/2 to 2 feet tall and just pokes in the ground. That's what I do with an island bed in the middle of my yard to keep my 3 dogs that have no sense of borders and just wander wherever their little noses take them. I buy the green colored fencing so it pretty well blends in with the plants by this time of year. Brenda

How's that bee balm doing?

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Brenda,

The bee balm is fantastic! Really beautiful. Thanx so much for sending me that. =)

As to the dog, it's really not his fault, and the fence thing wouldn't do any good. You see, it's the dang squirrels ... It's his job (mission in life) to chase any squirrel he sees. The dang squirrels have figured out that if they get on the fence behind my sunny bed, he will try to go after them, running thru the garden, and I'll put him inside. *sigh* Then they have free run of the yard ... so I'm being manipulated by rodents . . . at the expense of my lilies.

If I put barbed wire around that bed, he would still go in after the squirrels . . . his name ain't Stupid for nothing . . . . LOL!

I'm wondering what I can put on that fence that will make it highly unpleasant for the squirrels . . .

Cheri'

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

"I'm wondering what I can put on that fence that will make it highly unpleasant for the squirrels . . ."

A Dog! lol

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL! But that gets me back where I started . . . LOL!

I was thinking of a thorny vine, kinda like natural barbed wire.

Cheri'

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

LOL!!!! angie...that was naughty mean!! LOL! ROFLMBO!

Cherí - what about some barberry bushes?? They are wicked with thorns! I can't even get in there with triple-thick leather gloves without getting pricked.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/59576/index.html

That's what I've got around a portion of mine that doesn't have the fence. Now see I knew there was a good point to living in flat Kansas with very few trees! No squirrels! And I'd be in a world a hurt with 2 rat terriers in my domain. They'd be going crazy....bunnies keep 'em pretty busy though...especially that burrow under my deck they can't quite get at.

Brenda

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

hmmmm, I was thinking more of a vine, I'd say a climbing rose but with the humidity, that would look awful. Maybe bougainvillea? How thorny are those, really?

Anyway, my co-op lilies are busting out!

Here is Lilium leucanthum

Thumbnail by sundry
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

And here is a bloom on an orange Tiger lily that I bought last year

Cheri'

Thumbnail by sundry
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

alrighty then,

here is a yellow tiger lily that bloomed today

Cheri'

Thumbnail by sundry
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Cherí - that yellow Tiger is very unusual. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it. I have some peach Tigers that are kinda neat too! Maybe we'll have to do a swap later this summer.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Brenda,

I got three "mixed" tiger lilies last year. The orange, the yellow . . . I don't remember the other. It hasn't bloomed yet this year. It might have been cream colored . . .

So, last fall I dug up the yellow and the orange and re-planted them in bigger pots with other bulbs. The other I left alone. It is now twice as tall as these, and has about 4 or 5 babies. It's loaded with buds, tho no blooms yet. No babies on the yellow and orange, maybe I should have left them alone . . .

These tiger lilies live on my patio, because I can't plant them with the other lilies. They really are a pain, but beautiful. Half the time I want to get rid of them, but the other half the time I don't. *sigh*

Anyway, I would think that if I don't mess with these again, they will make babies, too, and I'll have some to share even if I decide to keep them. Goodness knows I don't want too many! My patio is very small . . .

Cheri'

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Cherí - did you say "too many"??? Nah....couldn't be. LOL!! After my shopping spree this spring I've got tons of lilies coming up all over the yard. Just when I started thinking....WHERE am I going to put these bulbs....I would tuck them in somewhere. Now they are all up and putting on lots of growth. Just starting to see buds on the new ones from this spring and last fall.

Here's a mature one I've had a few years...don't remember the name or where I got it it's been so long ago. It's a dainty thing at about only 12-15" tall.

Thumbnail by langbr
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

hi guys... been a little bit since i posted... been busy outside moving my larkspur and pansies out of the big garden... the gophers are out and sucking them down the holes..): good news about my favorite pansies though!!! while digging up my big snapdragons i found a little baby pansie with one flower on it and it turns out to be a baby from my favorite pansies!!!!! then where i had dug them up originally there was an even smaller baby with no bloom on it ... so i scooped those up with my shovel and planted them in my raised bulb bed!!!! (: i still have a few things to move and will finish that up today.. i think there is a den on the one side of that garden.. stupid gophers!!! anyway back to lilies.. my tiger lilies infront of my little red barn are blooming! and the tigerlily above bloomed more so i am gonna post those pics... (: here they are... i thought this was a rose colored tigerlily... but it looks almost peach... soooo i dunno..

Thumbnail by cici77
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It's too early for blooms here.... but not for their pests! These are the red lily beetle doin their thang. They start devouring the plants shortly afer the come out of the ground.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Cici - that looks very similar to mine. This is from last year....

Sue--thanks for the pic....I've never seen those before and I guess I hope I never do!!

Thumbnail by langbr
Banning, CA(Zone 9b)

here is a tigerlily infront of my little red barn... well on the right side anyway.....

Thumbnail by cici77

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.