coping with prednisone

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I've been lurking for a while now, and glad to have found this site.
I've had to go back on prednisone, 50mg every other day, for immunosuppression, (as well as upping my cellcept, also an immunosuppressant.) The last time I was on prednisone, as high as 60mg every day, it didn't give me much trouble. This time, on my prednisone days, I don't sleep. I take it with breakfast, and I don't drink caffeinated drinks. It's exhausting, any suggestions for getting to sleep?

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I take mine 25 mg everyday, if not I don't sleep. You may want to ask your doctor but, mine says your body gets the same level just doesnt boost you up so high.
Hope this helps

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

When I first went on prednisone about 9 years ago I started at 70mg a day. I nearly lost my mind after a couple months among other bad side effects. I now take 7.5-10 mg. a day constantly and still have some insomnia if I don't take it early in the morning. Ask your doctor for Ambien to help you sleep. It helped me get thru those trying times. Sometimes Benedryl + tylenol will help too. It all depends on your system and how it is reacting to medications.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info. My Dr. says that the higher dose is what I need, and that the every other day is less harder on the system. Two years ago when I was on it, it was 50mg one day and 7.5mg the other. I needed the little bit to have some strength when not having the higher dose prednisone. Yes, Leaflady, I do find that the Tylenol does help some, so I do con't to take that on my pred. days. I bet none of us would be on prednisone if we had a better option.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Amen! MG99, Between the Prednisone, Plaquenil & a long list of other's..It's scary! Sometimes the side effects can be worse on you than the illness.
When I have flair up's of course my meds are increased again.
So I can feel for you. I take xanax to sleep, I'm sure the dr. would give you something to help if you ask.
Hope you find relief soon.
You are not alone and there are a lot of wonderful people here to talk to.

Take care, Dixiechick

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I was just looking over this post, and hadn't realised how long ago this flare up of mine has been going on. Time flies even when you aren't having fun! The third week of June, we went down to 40 mg of prednisone EOD. I lasted a week, then I couldn't see to write because of the bouble vision. My jaw was hanging open, I was too weak to close it. Not to mention the drool. I was so weak I couldn't even open up a water bottle. Back up on the prednisone, increased the immunosuppressant, and am waiting to hear when I go back into hospital for a few days of IVIG treatment. I"m sure it's worse because of the heat wave we're having, temps in the 90's and we usually get to the mid 70's.

Anyone else get IVIG and has had plasmapheresis? which worked best for you?

Thanks for you input, and of course support.

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.