European Shade Garden Plants?

Columbus (Berwick), OH(Zone 5b)

I am hoping that some of the European members of Daves Garden could help me with my gardening plans. I am an avid shade gardener. My neighbors think I am nuts. I have planted enough trees on my lot to create a long term shade garden out of large sections of my yard. Eventually my battle against mowing the grass will be won. Years down the road of course. In the mean time I am lil by little gathering all variety of shade plants into my yard. They are thriving with new additions all the time. I was hoping that maybe there were plants native to your part of the world that may be rare or hard to find here, that you might be able to suggest or be able to trade. I have already found a number of rare seeds for unbelievable flowers and plants from your part of the world. Many are doing well, but are years from flowering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The more exotic looking or flowering the better. Thanx in avance!

There are plenty of woodland plants but some prefer certain types of woodland and soil. What's the situation you have there and maybe we can come up with a few for you.

Columbus (Berwick), OH(Zone 5b)

Zone 5-6 here in the city of Columbus. Clay soil, although I have ammended mine better than most. Still have drainage issues sometimes. Warmer over the summer. Don't think I could ever grow blue poppies. LOL. However I have installed irrigation for the dry months. Plenty of shade and partial shade. Soil pH is 7 basic basic. here is a pic of a shooting star that came back from last years plantings.

Thumbnail by CWBYNCMH
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

How did your shade garden fair over this first season? Any pix???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.