Anybody here know how to weld?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welp, I'm ashamed of myself (well, as much as I allow my self to be anyway).

My good friend of umpteen years used to do all my welding projects and such. Heck, he'd been doing it all his life and surely enjoyed it. This past January he died (age 70+).

Today, I took a piece of tractor part to another guy who has also helped me w/welding parts/fabricating parts and I find out he has been going thru cancer stuff (lost 40 pounds so far) and "cain't do as much as I used ta"). He took my parts and says to come pick em up Sunday or Monday.

Now, here's the clincher: Three years ago I bought myself an arc welder, ran the outlet wire (50 amp circuit), plugged it up, turned in on to make sure power was getting there, turned it off, and ain't touched it since. (I think I'm afraid of it.)

I know I need a welding bench of metal (all my benches are wood top). I also know I could use a few hints and such on the how-to's.

Heck, seems like all my welder friends are either dying or dead, so...looks like I better take over. I know others around here are gonna need some welding help so I better learn how to help em, eh?

Question: Ya'll got any hints, tips, tricks of the trade to pass on? I really don't want to blow up the neighborhood. (And yes, I think I may have to put on some sort of shoes, or flip flops, at the very least.) Please contribute if you can.

This thread has 59 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!