Vanda???

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

I found this one the other day. The plant ressembles a lot a typical Vanda, and had these purple-spotted flowers. I remember seeing purple Vandas before, but not with this kind of lip.

I wonder if it really is a Vanda, or something else.

Thumbnail by Monocromatico
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

my goodness, it's like an errant eyeball peering at ya.

But beautiful Mono!!!

:^)
Molly

Franklin, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello, Monocromatico-- Since we are really newbies, we are referring to books and experienced growers for information. We found in The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids, Edited by Alec Pridgeon, a Vanda tricolor, that looks similar to your picture. "This species is endemic to Java although dubiously reported from other countries. The plants are frequently found under the name V. luzonica and differs by its bold spotting and strong fragrance. The purple spotted white flowers with dark purple lips are notable for their strongly reflexed segments and long pedicels and ovaries. Vanda tricolor usually flowers in the fall and winter."

Your picture shows a creamy, yellow lip, but the shape of the lip shows close resemblance. Could it be a cross, maybe.

Like I said, we are newbies and are searching for information and looking at lots of references and just ran across this one.

Barbara & Andy (Barandy)

After reading that, I searched for Vanda tricolor on the net, and found very similar flowers. I think you are right. Thanks for the tip.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This is Vanda tricolor...........

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This is Luzonica...........both tricolor and Luzonica are very sweetly fragrant.......almost honey like. :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse

I never saw a Vanda luzonica... in fact, I strongly believe that Vandas should be more popular over here, because I have seen only 3 species of it myself so far :^/

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I like these type of hybrids the best..especially blue types.This is Rothchildiana.

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Rothchildiana is beautiful!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.