Important Poison Question

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Hey guys.....Hopefully someone can clear this up for me. I have a dog kennel that is used for a potty area for my Shih Tzus. It's chainlink and I wanted to cover that back portion with Wisteria. I wanted to really, really bad! I researched and I now believe that Wisteria is poisonous, so I planted Chocolate vine instead. Anyway...someone in the Pets forum told me that she remembers growing up that her parents had it covering their dog kennels with no problems. I guess I am wanting someone to tell me that It's perfectly safe and I should go ahead and use it. I would dig up that Chocolate vine in a heartbeat. What do you guys think? Any personal experiences? Do any of you have Wisteria growing around any Pets?? Thanks....

Thumbnail by AKelley
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wisteria is poisonious to any animal. if you know your dogs have a chewing problem or nibbles on things not supposed to then i will stress DONT PLANT IT!!!!!

if you really want the wisteria then maybe you could cover that side of the kennel with something that wont let any of it in the cage but the draw back to that is some still might get in.

For you since you are woried about your babies then i wouldnt.

hope this helps. Marie

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I do have wisteria growing around all my pets, cow, goat, dog, cats, ducks, and chickens, I have never lost any animals, that is just my experience with it.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Akelly
I can fix the problem for you, I will gladly come and get your babies and take them off you hands and then you can grow the wisteria without worrying about it!!!! haha

Those are sure cute little guys you have there. I have one but I think he needs a companion, I don't always play with him as often as he thinks I should!!!

Good luck!
Alice

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

We lost our ShihTzu of eleven years, last summer. They are great dogs. I especially like that they don't shed. Your babies are so cute. Do you raise them?

I think there are a lot of things that we grow that are poisonous, but I've never had a pet get sick from anything. Maybe my dogs just never chewed on my plants, I don't know. I think animals are pretty smart when it comes to eating plant life.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Mom has a huge wisteria it's in with 4 of her dogs they don't bother it. Dogs aren't that stupid, at least most of them. LOL. They have one great smeller and don't touch any of my poison plants. My cat did eat part of a brug leaf last winter and ran around the house high (triping I suppose) for a few hours. Then fell asleep I stayed up all night watching her breath. She hasn't eaten any more brugs,LOL. Jody

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi Alice...That's funny, and maybe yesterday I would have considered it! They were wound tight all day!! We were really busy, weekends are precious to us and it seems they only come once a month. I guess they wanted more attention than we were able to give them.

Hi Brugie, Yes they are great dogs! We do raise them and it's great fun. They are characters.

Jody, I guess I feel the way you do. It has always seemed to me that nature somehow protects it's own..it just makes sense. Anyway, it's not going to happen. Hubby won't allow it. I guess he's right, and I do like my chocolate vine. It amazes me how fast it grows and it's nice that I don't have to worry about it at all. The Wisteria would be beautiful of course, but I would always be worried that maybe they got some of it. Oh well. We will leave it where it is, in the back of the yard. I made my hubby compromise. It's on the back fence, and it was heading toward the barn. He has been redirecting it the other way because he wants to paint the barn "eventually". Yeah, I know how that goes. Anyway, now he is not allowed to touch my Wisteria. It will be covering that barn real soon.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Keep up the good work with the hubby that is. LOL, Jody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.