question about chocolate vine

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

I planted this chocolate vine, hoping to give my dogs some shade in their potty area. It is doing great. We have one of those black tarps on top to act as sunblock. I am wondering if you think it will grow on the tarp, or do I need to put some lattice up there? I don't want it completely covered, just that back corner. In the second picture you can see where it's ready to go over the top, I'm just wondering if it needs something to twine around??

Thumbnail by AKelley
Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

top part of chocolate vine on kennel

Thumbnail by AKelley
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You are growing a very vigorous vine that should eventually give plenty of shade for your dogs. Since this vine has tendrils, they need something to attach to. If you could put some lattice on top of the tarp, that would really be a big help. The kennel will probably be covered by the end of the growing season.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

No doubt, the whole thing will be covered by the summer's end... I have this vine and it is super invasive..

Larkie

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much for the replies Shirley and Larkie. I really appreciate it. One more question. What will the kennel look like in the winter? What will I need to do? Thanks! Angie

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

It's semi-evergreen here for me. I just trim back some and leave it...It never loses all it's leave here in south GA, but get lush again and blooms in early spring..

Larkie

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic which is North of you. My vine loses all it's leaves during the Winter. Since you indicated that you are in zone 8b, your vine will probably be semi-evergreen like Larkie's.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm in Cypress, Texas NW of Houston and its evergreen here.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Im in z5, and my 2 year old vine was evergreen for me last winter.

Mines growing on the Northside of my house. Maybe that's why it wasn't evergreen. Are the rest of you growing it in a warmer/sunnier location?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Mine are on the west side of the house. Not much sun in summer at all. In fact, Im scared it wont do well, and am tempted to move them.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Full sun..

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Larkie! Will move them ASAP

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.