What would you plant in this?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I got this for a birthday present from my Mom. It's the nicest container I've ever owned. There are no drainage holes. What would you suggest for a plant. It'll hold about 10 gal. I was thinking a lotus?....

Thumbnail by poppysue
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

wow, Poppy........you couldn't have chosen a more suitable plant for this gorgeous container! happy gardening.........Elaine

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

You know who you should ask, poppysue? Tomtom.
A lovely pot btw.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! Will you keep it inside or out?

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

That is so beautiful! I have to agree with you, it looks like it was made to hold a lotus. If not a lotus, maybe a miniature water lily or some water hyacinths? Or maybe a mini bog with corksrew rush, mini cattails and some veronica beccabunga? Oh the possibilities, I want one!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

It really too lovely to contain any plant in the first place. Keep it inside! But if you still want to plant something, if I were you, then, I would think of anything that does not hang down from the brim (obscuring the lovely art) but grow to a medium height and spread approx. its width in a roundish shape. That would match with the container.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

A minature fruit tree, or olive tree.....edited to say, or a Bromeliad.

"eyes"

This message was edited Apr 26, 2004 6:03 PM

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Gosh Sue! Thats a beautiful planter! I dont have any suggestions as to what should go in there, but.... WOW! What a great present.

Adding... what about some dwarf cannas or iris?

This message was edited Apr 27, 2004 9:57 AM

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

It's gorgeous!!! YES! Definately a lotus ;) I've been looking for a couple of containers similar for a couple of lotus but they are sooo expensive! L

Naperville, IL(Zone 5a)

PoppySue -- If you want something indoors for year round enjoyment, that gorgeous container wold be lovely for a nice Jade plant -- just "oriental" looking enough that it would compliment the design. Sandy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

dwarf oriental lilies , in summer, amaryllis, for the holidays, and tulips forced in the late winter.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Go with the Lotus.Or plant something in a smaller pot and place stones in the bottom of this pot, then set the plant in a smaller pot in the larger one. Makes for better drainage that way.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That is so beautiful. What a gift to recieve on a special day from a special person. I think I would go with smaller pot(s)of plants set inside it so that you can change the looks sometimes. A Peace Lily comes to mind quickly. Or a white Amaryilis and Paper Whites for the winter holidays.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

White Gardenia

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

You can drill holes in the bottom of it for drainage. You'll need to use a drill bit that is used for drilling through tile or maybe a masonry bit. Find a handyman and they should be able to help you with it.

Tracey :)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

so poppysue, what did you decide to do?
debi z

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It will be a smaller lotus :-) I have the tuber in my fridge... I haven't got it planted yet.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

PoppySue

are there gold fish painted on the inside ?
mine have them
so nice i have never put anything in them :-)

Dick Strever

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

sounds like anice choice. enjoy sue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.