Cup of Gold (Solandra Maxima) question

Mesilla Park, NM

Does anyone know how long it will take to bloom from cuttings. A friend gave me some and they rooted well, and I saw her bloom yesterday. It is a huge flower, but her vine is about 20 years old. I can hardly wait till mine blooms.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I think they take one to two years to bloom from a cutting.

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you calalily,
They look great and that flower is something.

I don't think your e-mail is working from Dave's. I sent you two e-mails (one about a month ago and one about two weeks ago) regarding the purchase of Monika's book. I did not want to post it here, but I really think the e-mails are not reaching you. Thanks for your help.. lA

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Any pictures of this either of you? I have read about this particular vine and maybe someday I will get some heat in my greenhouse during the winter months and will try all these exotic zones 9 and 10 vines.

Mesilla Park, NM

Lenjo,
here's a link for a pic.. this is huge in real life.. Also, the lady said the bud is the size of a light bulb before it opens.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/S/sola_max.cfm

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Gourd,
I grew this one a few years back,took 2 years from a small rooted cutting to flower,the plant was huge by then,8ft tall and 8ft wide,and each time it flowered was in the middle of winter,and at that time I was storing my large tropicals in my dads basement,and really didn't get to enjoy the fragrance they put out,warning of caution,whiteflies love this plant!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

8ft wide? I have three cuttings rooted already and they are growing fast too. Hope I can hang in there, sometimes it seems so long away, won't put into the ground until they are alot bigger. Have to keep my eyes out for those whiteflies. I had very few of them and use those sticky yellow traps, just hang them on the plants (everything sticks to them though, even the good bugs).. thanks for the warning Tropicman.

Yes, they bloom in the winter here. They grow to the tops of the palms!
I fixed the email, I didn't put an email in when I moved to replace the old one.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2004 11:58 PM

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Beware this is one of the largest (heavy) vines and needs a very sturdy support. This vine can take down a tennis court fence easily. This is a photo from South Coast Botanic Garden on the Palos Verdes peninsula in Southern California. There are some in private gardens around the area and at the Wrigley Mansion on Catalina Island. Quail Botanic Garden has one growing on a wooden fence and they seem to keep it well pruned. Most of the vines here in California have been near the coast, but it can grow in Sunset zone 15-24. Good luck it is a beauty and a beast!

Thumbnail by katrinas

Uh oh, there goes my fence, lol. I think I'll move the vine to the palm tree. That seems to be the way they like to grow them here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.