help with rhubarb

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I went to my in-laws house. They are deceased and my niece lives in their house. There was rhubarb there and she let me take a clump that was barely breaking ground. I really didn't know what I was doing. I washed the dirt off and cut it into 3 pieces, 2 had sprouted small leaves. Some of the roots were real pithy, almost like old iris roots you cut off and throw away and keep the good, new growth. I planted them in good soil with a bunch of Black Kow added.
Even though I searched the forums until nearly blind, I didn't see much on their cultivation, just some being offered for swaps. Can someone tell me what I need to know or at least direct me to a good website or thread that explains how to grow these. I don't want to lose them...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's a good site on growing rhubarb:
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html
and here's the rhubarb index page: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

hmmmmmm, how would I ever garden without you?

Betty, You are TOO funny! I STILL have the first email you sent me when I knew less than nothing... before DG, even!

We knew each other before DG? How?

Betty, I STILL have an email from you from GW before I joined DG, LOL. Lots of great info in it!

Omigosh! I didn't realize it was you. what kind of baloney did I send you, lol?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I think your rhubarb will be just fine. It's a very forgiving plant and will love the black kow you gave it. It's a heavy feeding plant and adapts to transplant easily.

The only other thing I can offer is don't cut the stalks this year. Let them get settled in this year, and give them a good sidedressing of manure every spring.

Thanks JoanJ.I am afraid I cut some of the roots off and left them behind. They're weird looking, aren't they? Kinda pithy wood-looking. Since they were neglected in the lawn, I thought I'd take Black Kow to her house and give them a little boost too. She seem utterly disinterested right now. Her health is not great.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

It doesn't matter if you didn't get all the roots. As long as you got a piece of a root, the plant will take off. They are a woody looking root. I've transplanted my rhubarb several times and you can get lots of new plants started from one established plant.

Rhubarb...now I think I'd better go outside and see if mine are breaking ground yet. I love rhubarb, even raw. Sometimes when I'm working outside I'll pull up a stalk and chew on it while I'm working. So tart! I also like to eat the asparagus right out of the garden. Maybe that's coming up now too.

Good luck with the rhubarb. I think it will do just fine for you.

I worked at a huge old house that was converted to an inn. Where the tennis courts are now located was an acre of asparagas. I used to say, "just put me out to graze."

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

LOL! Sometimes I think that when I'm hungry I should just go forage through the garden. I do a fair amount of eating out there. I believe it's also much healthier for me than what I eat inside the house, even with the dirt that's left over after rubbing most of it off. :)

Hurry up Spring!

my spousal unit just planted a bunch of strawberries. We are trying to grow some edible stuff on our steep, shady mountain property. After cutting 3 trees, we have made some terraces and have roses, raspberries and the bottom one is a shade garden. But he really wanted strawberries and a grape arbor so he can grow Concords. The makers of Black Kow should give us a discount!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.