I'm shopping for a gh, I've narrowed the search, any advice?

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

After years of wanting one, I'm finally getting one! I went to the SF Flower and Garden SHow, saw a really nice one. When I got home my hubby insisted he could build one even better. After going over the project with his father (a former contractor and county building inspector), it looks like buying all the materials would cost about the same as a kit. Besides, after looking at older wood frames, even redwood doesn't seem to hold up so well. I've googled for weeks, I think I've narrowed it down to Charley's 10 x 12 Cambridge, or the one Costco is selling...the Glass Gardener Magnum, which is a tad smaller, but comes with tempered glass. Anybody out there have either of these models? ANybody have any opinions about 6mm polycarbonate vs tempered glass? Charley's will end up costing a bit more, with shipping, and the Costco one comes with all kinds of extras.....

Northern California, CA

Morning Lahana -

You are close enough to come visit if you are as perplexed as I was in trying to choose a greenhouse. I putzed around for a couple of years and then 2 years ago my DH made the decision for me by buying one of the Charley's show models at the SF F&G show. :-) That was a good day.

This is the model which most closely resembles mine:

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/catalog/index.cfm?page=_ProductDetails&ProductId=W1012

You can basically design your own using Charley's kits. I found the double doors they put on my show model to be an excellent choice which is rarely shown in their catalogs. Especially in our climate where summer ventilation is important. I basically open the doors in April and close them in late October. The roof vents/misting system take care of circulation of air and cool-down.

Here are a couple of links with some images of my GH:
Nov 10, 2003 11:52 AM
http://davesgarden.com/t/407676

The Greenhouse Will Close in 5 Minutes:
http://davesgarden.com/t/406583

I had a temp GH the year before this one came into my garden which had the double pane plastic. It worked fairly well, but I wouldn't trade the glass for anything.....it's just a personal choice of being able to really see into the GH and in our climate retaining heat (the plastic is much more efficient) isn't that much of an issue. I did heat the GH this winter for the first time for about a month trying to keep it at about 55F. Then I received my PG&E bill and decided if plants died I could replace a lot of plants for the price PG&E was costing. :-)

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Lahana,
This is an example of my absolute fav design. Gothic Arch (Snow Arch)
http://www.atlasgreenhouse.com/package.html

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much for your help, Happenstance!

Your GH is wonderful! I must admit that I really like the clear glass. It does look much classier. However, heat retention in the winter is important to me. I will be growing a bunch of things in there, but primarily I need more space for my orchids. My husband says he feels like HE lives in a greenhouse, LOL, what with all the fans and lights on in the house. I need to keep the temp no lower than about 55 F in the winter! I may have to run a gas heater in the winter. I am not planning to put power to it at this point. I am planning to buy solar fans etc. I wonder how much more efficient the polycarbonate is at retaining the heat? What do you grow in your greenhouse?

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey scooterbug!

Thanks for the link! I checked out what Atlas has, and I must say the construction looks very sturdy. I am going to have to stick with 120 sq ft, otherwise I will have to get a permit, and that is an expensive and aggravating proposition in our county! I know I will outgrow it, but I think budgetwise I am going to have to stick with a smaller unit. I will show my hubby the smaller ones they have, I think he will like the design. He thinks most of the kits aren't braced enough. Thanks again.

Lahana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.