Planning a hanging pot...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I saw this idea in Fine Gardening recently... using an inverted roof turbine as a container. A friend gave me two off his old roof, and I found the coolest paint at Home Depot. It's by Rustoleum, called "Hammered" and they only had it in green or blue.

My planter will be lined with Spanish Moss peeking through the vents, and then probably sphagnum or something to contain water better. I just thought this finish paint was wonderful.

I had first considered the textured stone faux finishishes but a spray can doesn't go far, and it's more expensive. I may yet do the other one in it anyway.

Thumbnail by darius

Here's a close-up of the paint finish.

Thumbnail by darius
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Neat idea! Show us another pic after you get it planted.

Sue, I will... IF I can figure out what to plant in it! Not really my forté, LOL

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

My question is HOW you're going to plant it? Will you stuff the plants in the gaps? How does it get watered? Very cool idea.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

My guess is you'll plant it similar to those wire hanging baskets with moss liners, right? That is going to be so neat!!

kooger and liz, yes I will plant it like a traditional hanging planter... and no plants in the vent slots.

It will get watered from the top, which you don't see in the photos, and I'll post a pic in a couple of days. (I'm off to visit my mother in a nursing home 5 hours away, for the next 2 days.)

Here it is, I've sorta started planting in it. Not quite satisfied yet, but it's a beginning....

Licortice plant, and a "Blackie' sweet potato vine on the other side... plus a patio Dahlia which probably will not stay. Nat has some plants for me next month that may be just the ticket!

Thumbnail by darius

Here it is, I've sorta started planting in it. Not quite satisfied yet, but it's a beginning....

Licorice plant, and a "Blackie' sweet potato vine on the other side... plus a patio Dahlia which probably will not stay. Nat has some plants for me next month that may be just the ticket!

Thumbnail by darius

I know I need to tuck in more of the sphagnum moss, esp. near the bottom.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

that's really cool...kinda got a medieval look to it! I like it!!!

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

darius, I love it,so unusual and pretty.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

That is very unique Darius..
I like the way the moss peaks out in swirls from the container. I would like to see how it progresses..
Keep us posted with photos...

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I just love that idea, Darius! Now where in the heck will I find a used roof turbine? I must add that to my garage sale list of things to search for.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I think it would look awesome with hens n chicks all down the slits instead of the moss. You know really tightly packed in perfect rows. I'd think you could hold them in with pins or something considering how tough they are. I dunno.
It's beutimous like it is though! :)

Naperville, IL(Zone 5a)

Great way to use a "found item" -- recycling at it's most creative!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That is so creative. I don't know if I could figure out what to do with something like that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.