Familiar with Solar Optic greenhhouoses?

Pioneer, CA

Have any of you heard of a Solar Optic greenhouse? I saw one today on display, made by a company called Imperial Systems in Canada. From what I read in the literature it sounds fantastic. The salesman comes to this area every year and I am so tempted to buy one of them. I would love to know if someone in Dave's has one and what they think about it.
The guy had one set up in the parking lot at the shopping center, and I was so impressed by it, I may go back tomorrow and buy it. I've never had a greenhouse so I don't know anything about them but I'm sure I'd learn fast with all the info available from people here.
Jacquie

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Greetings, dguimo

I had not heard of this gh before reading your posting, but I googled the solar optic, and checked it out, as I am currently shopping for a gh. I really liked the light inside! The light appeared to be much brighter than in other ghs. I like that you don't have to put in a foundation, and so forth. For me the downside is that I don't find it all that attractive. I bet it would be very efficient. I think for us in California the shipping charge would probably would end up being $600. I am a mail carrier, and I think I've seen one of these on my route. It's no longer being used, and I don't know how old it is, but it has yellowed quite a bit. Have you looked at any other ghs? I'm wanting to make a decision, and get mine ordered. I know it will take a few weeks to get here, and probably another few weeks until it is set up.

Pioneer, CA

lahana, You're right about this gh not being attractive but I would put it on the back of my property where it would be out of sight for the most part (we live in the mountains) I still haven't decided to buy it. The color is not white to begin with. I think if you called the number on their web site you could find out when they come to your area, they are in San Andreas today and I think they travel. The salesman told me that they deliver and set it up all of the ones they sell in an area, so I'm assuming that there would not be a separate delivery charge, I'll look into that too though. I wish you could see one that is already set up.I think you could plant some plants around the outside and make it OK.
I haven't seriously looked at any others,maybe I should, but I like all the features of this one, especially not needing a heater or fan. Power is too far away from where I waant it located. I really need to make a decision -----

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

I checked out Solar Optic GH's. Almost bought one but DH talked me out of it.
About 6 months later I saw what looked like one while we were driving to St Louis. It looked like it had really yellowed in the sun, so I was glad I'd not purchased one.

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

dguimo, the Solar Optic certainly looks sturdy, and I don't think you'd have a problem like that horror story by the guy who bought the Rion. However, I would question whether you need a fan. Depending on where you are in CA, I could see being able to do without a heater, but I doubt the roof vents could keep the air moving. I have been looking at greenhouses for several months now. I think I've about reached the end of the products available. It's amazing how many outfits on the internet are selling the same ghs.....A couple of weeks ago I was considering the tempered glass Magnum (available at Costco), or the 8 x 12 Cambridge from Charley's greenhouse. I didn't feel settled, so I looked some more, and some more. The Juliana Premium ghs look great too. I think I prefer the wider 9' size. It's amazing how much roomier the gh feels with that extra foot. Also, I am determined to hold out for a tall one. The Cambridge is under 8' high. So it feels a lot more cramped, and there also is not as much room to hang plants, etc. There is a great cedar gh available from Canada (I think it's called Sunglo...), that was also a contender, but I don't want to spend precious dollars on shipping, if possible. Right now, I am probably going to put in my order for a Garden Grower Hobby Greenhouse from IGC. It's more of an industrial type, but it looks almost exactly like Charley's Sungro. It is 9 x 12, the center height is 9' , has curved eaves, and a storm door. The frame is made of steel. The vent is optional (it will be a solar vent 16" x 72"). With shipping it is $3,765. The covering is 6mm twinwall polycarbonate. I plan to run solar fans and a solar light in there. That's about it. I will have to get a gas heater in the winter if the temp drops below 55 F. I plan to grow a bunch of things, but I am determined to get a lot of my orchids out there, and grow tomatoes year-round. I am tired of paying $3/lb for those hothouse tomatoes in the winter! I would definitely recommend shopping around some more, although the Solar Optic does have some nice features....I'd love to hear what you decide.

Lahana

Pioneer, CA

Lahana, I decided not to buy the greenhouse this year. I just didn't feel all that excited about it. I'm such a non compulsive buyer --- drive my husband nuts sometimes, but I want to do some more research before I decide what to do.
I would love to meet someone that owns one and hear what they have to say about it. Post a picture of yours when you get it--- aren't you excited?

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

dguimo,
I certainly am excited! My huband has cut the "pad" for it, it lies just above our house, and will even have a little bit of a view (too bad for not getting the tempered glass....) I am planning to order it on Monday, and would should have the kit in about 3 weeks. I have no clue how long it will take to put together, probably much longer than we think. I am hoping for two days. We are going to build our own benches. I think I am just going to put down pea gravel on the sides, and a brick walkway down the middle. I liked the "arch" type ghs, my husband really liked them too, because they are structurally very strong, but without that straight-wall up the sides, I figured the benches would take up more valuable floor space. I haven't started putting together the solar stuff yet, but the only source I've found is Charley's, so I'm probably going to go with what they have. I sure will take pictures through the process, and post them for others.

What do you like to grow? WHere exactly is Pioneer?

Lahana

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Beware ! ............This does not last long and the panels made of fiberglass, yellow quickly, because the material was not made for GH use like Poly-Carb.. They get brittle in 2 or 3 years.
...............I was seriously thinking of getting one for seedlings. Then I did some research and found so much bad feedback , TG I checked. Look on Gardenweb for starters.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2004 10:06 PM

Pioneer, CA

Lahana, I haven't been on here for a while, found your post today,--- so happy that you're getting your gh!!!!!Hope to see pictures when you get it together. I guess I'll wait another year for mine. I decided not to go with the Solar Optic, so have to do some more looking. Good luck with all your projects, I would love to have tomatoes in the winter. I rarely buy them for salads that time of year because they are so tastless, use pears or Mandarin oranges instead.
Pioneer is about an hour SE of Sacramento, near Jackson. We're at 4000 ft. elevation and have a very short growing season so I use Walls of Water a lot. Whatever works!! Love my garden!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.