castrol oil

Grand Rapids, MI(Zone 6a)

My neighbor heard that putting castrol oil around the permiter of a yard will help keep moles out. He also wants to do this to my yard but I was planning to plant Luffa at the back edge of my property and letting it grow up the chain link fence that is 6 ft tall. Now I am wondering if this castro oil will bother my luffa or maybe even mess up the soil to where they won't want to grow. If anybody knows anything about this please let me know.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I think you mean CASTOR oil. Castrol is a brand name for motor oil and other petroleum products which should not be poured on the ground. Castor oil is the stuff that my generation had to endure for a variety of ailments. It is made from the Castor bean ( mole bean) which old timers swore would repel moles.

Grand Rapids, MI(Zone 6a)

oops sorry your right but will it hurt my plants?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Castor oil; not unless you drown them in it. No point in putting in on the plants anyhow. Best treat ment is to put a teaspoonful at intervals along mole tunnels. Of course you could also cut a three inch deep trench around all the garden and sprinkle castor oil in the boundary trench. Cover and you would have a mole barrier till the oil biodegrades.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.