Pictures...

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

The PDB forum has soooo many beautiful pictures, but what's missing...Tomato and veggie pictures. If anyone has any pictures of their garden, seedlings, veggies, tomatoes-tomatoes, and more tomatoes, can you please post them. I'm flowered out, need some heirlooms to bring me back, I would post some myself, but I'll put as simple as possible. I'm not computer or camera literate, never-mind friendly. LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm working on it Dan...try to add a few more every season. I do feel like the Lone Ranger over there sometimes.

Here's one to perk your spirits...the older members have already seen it, but it's still a good one.

Thumbnail by melody
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

melody - you picture reminds me that i have to start my tomato seeds tomorrow. wish i get a few like in your pic.

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

See Melody, beauty and production. Thank you sooo much, that's just a start, today a bushel, tomorrow a greenhouse. Ahhhhhhh, it's a beautiful sight, never-mind a concept. Keep them coming, to all. Little by Little, there is a Method to MY Madness.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's some color from last year's harvest.

Thumbnail by celia
Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanx Celia, they are beautiful. I see some darker type tomatoes, Black or Black-Cherry, and they have an unique shape, can you fill me in on those? Keep them coming, I really enjoy them. Danny

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

They were Cherokee Purple. We didn't really like them all that much. But our tomatoes didn't do very well last year. We are in a community garden, and everybody got some kind of blight. The leaves of the plants turned yellow, dried up and dropped off. This year I started Sasha Alti. Ever hear of it? Someone from DG sent me seeds last year. I can't wait!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Dan, you're getting a big cyber hug from me! We absolutely DO need more veggie images in the PDB: beans, corn, 'taters, 'maters, peppers, okra, lettuce, cukes, melons, gourds, eggplants, pumpkins...I'm really hoping that a lot more of us will be snapping pictures before we take that first bite ;o)

But now I will also say that if you have a regular (non-digital) camera, you can also submit your pictures to the PDB. Just about all the film development counters, such as at your grocery store, WalMart, Walgreens, etc. offer a CD of digital images which are VERY easy to copy from disc to the PDB.

My personal favorite web-based photo lab is Snapfish.com - I send my 35 mm film to them in a postage-paid envelope, and in less than a week (and for ~$5) they send me back my prints and negatives AND they put the images in a personal online "shoebox" for me to view, email to other people and/or copy to the PDB or my computer for my personal use. I promise you this: if you can navigate our forums, you can upload a picture!

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanx Terry, see, you can even teach a college student something new everyday, I LOVE IT!!! That was informing and fun, it's about time we get some LOVE(Veggie Lovers.) I'm in the process now, of taking some pics of my germinating seeds, and I'm going to go to the local store, grocery, Wal-Mart, K-Mart. etc. and see what I can do to get these puppies on a CD. The scary thing is that I have all of this crazy technology in front of me, and I have no clue how it works, I have a basic understanding, but that's as far as it goes,for a pen and paper type of guy. It's actually a shame, I have an off the chart computer with the potential to change someones name, if I instucted it to do so, but I'm old-school, and I still resort to the good ole' pen(cil) & paper, go figure. Danny

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Okay, I'm guilty too. I have some tomato seedlings about 6" tall and will take photos and put them in the PDB. They are Brandywine Sudduth's Strain, recommended as a good brandywine by Carolyn.

As a beginning vegetable gardener, I can see the usefulness of photos of seedlings as well as full-size plants and the harvest.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Celia,
I have to beg to differ about the heavily ribbed "black" toms in your picture. Cherokee Purple doesn't have shoulders like that that I have ever seen before. Could there have been a mistake on the seed packet? They look more like Costoluto Genovese....
Tom

Here's a seedling I'll put in the PDB. Brandywine Sudduth's Strain, from Tomato Growers Supply Co.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2004 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by darius
Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I agree with Tom that those aren't Cherokee Purple.

They do have the ribbed appearance of Costolutos ( that word meaning ribbed in Italian) but they aren't Costoultos either, since all Costolutos are red, as far as I know.

Celia, where did you get the seeds or plants from for that not Cherokee Purple?

Carolyn, who has no fancy camera and is too computer illiterate to figure out how to do it anyway. LOL Sometimes you've got to let the old ones like myself just continue to be set in our ways. LOL And if you looked in Gary's thread on what folks are growing this year you'll see I'm growing far too many to photograph anyway. (smile)

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what varieties I planted last year!!!!!! I had it all down on the computer, but it crashed last July during the blackout! I do have a written list somewhere.....but I can't remember where I put it!!!!! Arghhh. I can't remember if the Cherokee Purple were seeds given to me by someone here at DG or if I bought the plants at our local garden center. I'll keep looking and let you know!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay....my bad! I think they're Calabash. Does that make more sense?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Looks like it to me. http://www.ghorganics.com/PurpleCalabash.htm

This message was edited Apr 16, 2004 11:47 AM

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of our "take" last fall:

Thumbnail by mominem

Eileen, what a gorgeous still-life! (Making me hungry....)

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Okay....my bad! I think they're Calabash. Does that make more sense?

Sure does, and that also explains why you didn't like them.

I can't stand Purple Calabash. LOL

Carolyn

Gee, Carolyn - don't hold back - tell us how you REALLY feel (lololol...)

I've never tried growing or eating a Purple Calabash. What's so terribly bad about them? (Note to self: remember this thread when I'm tempted by some seductive description in next year's seed catalogues...)

I hope to have pics of 'Red Rose' (cross between Brandywine and Rutgers, from Tomato Growers Supply) in a few days. Says it produces good yields of 6-10 oz. delicious red fruit. Disease and crack resistance are inherited from Rutgers, and the taste and texture is more like Brandywine.

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Great Darius, keep em coming. I love the picture gallery. Danny

I need to apologize to Carolyn... She DIDN'T REALLY recommend the Brandywine Sudduth's Strain to me... It's just that in her book I understood her to imply that if you MUST do Brandywines, this is a decent one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.