stake glads in container?

knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Any ideas on how to stake glads in a container?
-heather

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

depends how much you mind the 'stake' showing? You could use a peony ring or even a half a tomato cage. Otherwise you're looking at tying each one up individually. Or you could maybe use a bunch of dead twigs/limbs to make a little 'thicket' in and around the glads to support them. just some ideas...

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

my local florist sells tomato plants that are very large, sometimes 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall. they stake them wilh these thin pieces of green wood. they would work well for your glads.
maybe your local florist or nursey has the same things.

knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

i saw these wire u-shaped pieces martha stewart was using to hold up a plant. She would place two of them (one on each side of the plant) with the forks of the "u" in the dirt nearest the plant and the upper U shaped part holding the plant. Did anyone else see that? they were dark green, clothes hanger type material....maybe I can MAKE one of those.
I will try to find a picture of it.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I don't stake my glads because I cut them for fresh flowers on the house as soon as the bottom bud begins to show color. That way they never get top heavy.

I used to stake them before I decided to have cut flowers. I used the thin dyed green bamboo stakes from Lowe's or Home Depot, and some green twine.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

That's what I did last year. I used the green stretchy tape and went around 3 or 4 of them at a time and looped them and tied them back to the little green bamboo stake.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.