this years first gloriosa lily bloom

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Lovely color. First gloriosa lily bloom of the year.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Wow-what a show!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Too cool. I was going to get some for this year and I just plain forgot about them. Guess it will be one that I won't have to worry about over wintering this year. Very pretty.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Ohhhhhhhh you forgot to give me some at the Florida plant swap.:-(

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Donna, send me your address and I will send you some. Things got a little nuttey there and I must have lost track of some of my trades. And then a couple of little old ladies came off the street and begged for one, so I gave them one. I can dig you up a couple no problem.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, do you have them in full sun and do they get very tall and fall over?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Rylaff, so pretty. Mine just started blooming too. I was going to take a picture yesterday and just didn't get it done.
Weeds, give them something to cling to and they won't fall over. They attach with little tendrils that grow on the ends of the leaves. I plant mine under tall stuff and they climb right up.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

OK....thanks, you are liking zone 10 eh Cala?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

So pretty, how hard are these guys to grow?I bought a bulb and planted in a large pot and in the greenhouse at least a month ago.No sign of life yet, how damp do I need to keep this? Would you advise digging down in there to see if it is still alive?

Lenjo, I wouldn't dig down in the pot, I think the stems are fragile and you might break the stems if they are growing. I think they need to be warm to come up. Don't keep too wet.
Weeds, I love zone 10, except this morning it felt like zone 7 again! It was in the 50's!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine was in a planter I brought into the house for the winter,most of the stuff grew all winter but no sign of the gloriosa lily...till 2 weeks ago...its growing like crazy now....

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I cheated, I did dig down in the potting soil, no sign of life. It reminds me of a dahlia tuber, how do you plant the thing; on its side is how I have it now.

Edited to add, could I be keeping it warm? Would it be better outside? It has been unseasonably warm and sunny here.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2004 7:17 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I cheated, I did dig down in the potting soil, no sign of life. It reminds me of a dahlia tuber, how do you plant the thing; on its side is how I have it now.

I always plant mine on their side. A long time ago, someone told me to leave them out they make little pink nubbies on the tubers, then plant them and that's how I do it. Here is a link with great info on gloriosa lilies that I found on Google. http://www.gaygardener.com/gardenspot/bulbs024.phtml
more info http://www.tesselaar.net.au/growingguides/gloriosa_lily.asp

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here in Florida, I leave mine in the ground all year. However, I have dug them up to move them or to send some to someone. I have left them out for a period of time in my house. They do get pink nubbies where the plant will grow. Sometimes one at each end. I always plant mine on their side. They do like alot of sun. Mine are in full Florida sun. Most are just emerging from the ground now. I do have a few that are in a more protected place and started earlier. Those are the ones that are starting to bloom. Perhaps it is just not warm enough yet where you are?

Here is mine that's blooming. The others have buds. I damaged one by trying to move it after it came up, but it wasn't where I wanted it to grow. I hope it recovers.

Thumbnail by Calalily
N. Vernon, IN(Zone 6b)

rylaff Do you have any starts of gloriosa lily, Red passion, and bambo,? I need them so. I'll trade or pay for them PLZ. Thank You Janie

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm jealous you've already got flowers!

Wish I would have gotten mine in the ground sooner! It is just starting to pop up now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.