what is it called?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I think they are commonly called pink sundrops but the real name starts with an oe I think. They can be invasive but I have some areas I need invaded; steep banks where I can't garden elsewhere. I saw them on a trip from the mtns. of NC west to western Tennessee. I think I saw a lot of them growing everywhere around Chattanooga. I really want these, and had been promised some but never got any. I don't even know if it's an annual or a perennial.......

Oenothea speciosa

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/236/index.html

Wynantskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Dear Wood..
I grew up calling these primroses, but as Baa says their botanical name is Oenothea speciosa. In Zone 7a (which I am also in --southern middle TN), they are a perennial. They can be very invasive, but you can get rid of them if they go completely crazy by just pulling them up. I had about a 50 foot border of them in front of my other perennials, and I always enjoyed them greatly. One of the plants they were in front of was monarda, and eventually the monarda almost overwhelmed the primroses so I only have about 10 to 12 feet of them now. You can order the seeds from some seed companies. I would try Thompson and Morgan.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

let me check as mine are bloomimng now for seeds. will let you know later today. marie

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

someone sent me a bunch which I divided into 4 bunches and planted on a steep bank. do they need any fertilizer? We are very low in phosphates here and I thought I wuld at least use some bone meal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.