New Member from Central Ohio

Columbus (Berwick), OH(Zone 5b)

I kept tripping across this site during plant searches. I finally decided to pay the membership fee and see what it was all about. I have become adicted . Once I get more time I will get all my tools etc set up for trade etc. Primary intrests are unique plant varieties and shade gardening.

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Glad to have you on board CWBYNCMH, you'll find us to be a friendly bunch and you are so right about becoming addicted to this site. Your primary interests will fit right in here, and who knows, some of these gardeners might even "expand your horizons" :-)
Iowaron

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Another welcome from Iowa. I'm glad you took the plunge and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Jump right in and have a ball.

Shirley

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

welcome aboard. have a great time.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome to the garden. It sure doesn't take very long at all to become addicted to this wonderful place. We're glad you are one of us now!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

welcome from mich-have fun

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome from the Southern Part of the State!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Another welcome from Iowa; you will love it here.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Oh boy, another Iowa welcome! Enjoy yourself here. It's a great place to learn too!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Greetings from another central Ohioan! My husband and I are trying to decipher your username...Is it HAM radio you're into? Forgive us if we can't remember all that, LOL.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Welcome from N.E. Ohio!!! Is the first part of your name Cowboy? Just a guess.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Cowboy in Columbus?

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Cowboy in Columbus OH?

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

A late welcome, and hope you're enjoying it here!

Gardenwife hit it on the nose.
CWBY is short for cowboy
N "in"
CMH is the airport designation for Columbus Ohio.

I am originally from OKC Oklahoma City
Moved here to find work. Been here 6 years now.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Found work? ;) Couldn't resist. Do you have horses?

I found work a long time ago...lol...however, much to my chargrin I am in search of better employeement. I am a chemist by trade. Unfortunately the market is not all that it should be. I have no horses, however, I can ride them. My uncle is the the horse fiend. Most of my family now resides in Tulsa. My TRILLIUMS are going bonkers this year. YEEEEHAWWWW

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Another late Welcome! to ya Cowboy!

TC...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

OH, I love trillium. You have woods? I have one spot where I might be able to grow them - they're something we'll get once we have the rest of the plants we already have divided and such!

I have a lot of shaded area with the right type of soil.
Here is a good shot of one under my lilacs.

Thumbnail by CWBYNCMH
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Nice! We saw some in bloom at Dawe's Arboretum this evening. What a sight. :)

I just hope I eventually have an invasiveness problem this them.....LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

They're one plant it would be great to have proliferate. I like lily of the valley similarly.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Welcome from Whitehall! This site is very addictive. CW, you have already given me an idea -- Hope I can do the same for you in the near future. I just started putting a shade garden in my back yard under my Maple tree. I was unaware of the light requirements for Trillium. I have some empty spots in this garden, and was looking for other plants to use as filliers -- Will trillium do well under a maple? If so, I'm off to DeMonye's!

You are right down the road buddy. Just south of Bexley here. Trilliums particularly love maples and cornus (dogwoods) trees. Trillims like rich humus well drained soil. Planting on an incline is best. They will go dormant or die if allowed to dry out for too long. In this they are like alot of other forest floor dwelling plants. THEY DO NOT LIKE FERTILIZER. If you must ferilize them use only Osmicoat and only a very light aplication. One planted do not disturb, they are very sensitive. I try to place mine where I know they will not be touched. Just by walking on one you can kill it. If you need more info holler. Andersons also ALWAYS has an unbelievable selection of forest dwelling plants. Boodroot, solomons seal, hellebores etc. Example look at this shooting star I purchases their last spring. It came back beautifully!

Thumbnail by CWBYNCMH
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Cool - the shooting star is gorgeous. Are they cyclamens?

I am really not sure, but I do not think so. Best to look it up. I know that thecome out in the spring and go dormant by mid summer if it gets hot. Fell in love with them at the store last year. DROOL! I am going to try to save seed this year.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just looked them up in the PDB: http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php?search_text=shooting+star&submit=Search

Nice!

You know of course you have just STARTED ME ON ANOTHER QWEST! I just HAVE to have those stunning pink ones now.

LOOK at this picture by Evert.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by CWBYNCMH
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

The Inniswood plant sale is usually a good place to get spring ephemerals. See my April 27 post at the end of this thread: http://davesgarden.com/t/418920/

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello CWBY! (Ceceoh jumps and waves from German Village).
Just joined myself, and am in awe of the trillium. I just planted some under my redbud tree, and they are dawdling just above the surface, trying to make up their minds whether to die or not.

BTW - If you would like some may apple, drop me a note. They are taking over here!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi ceceoh!!!! Welcome from a North East Ohio member! You'll have a great time here at DG!
p.s. can you tell me what the cece stands for in your member name? Shhhh. I won't tell anyone. LOL

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

No secret, Celia. It's "C"arol "E"llen, repeated, plus the "OH" for Ohio. A screen name that has served my well since I first joined the World Wide Web.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Well hello Carol! I thought maybe your name was Cecelia, like mine. Many people call me Cece. Glad you're aboard!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Welcome from "Nerk", Carol ~ I had friends who lived on Blenkner for years. The Book Loft and Cuppa Joe's are two of our favorite places. Oooh, and Katzinger's Deli! :D

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Well, Gardenwife got me signed on last fall, however, I am just getting started on Dave's Garden. Since then we 'broke up housekeeping', sold two condos and bought a cute little house here in Naples, FL. Now I'm trying to learn about Fl. flowers and am ripping out old hibiscus bushes and creating new flower beds. Where are the Florida gardeners? Help! Gardening down here 'ain't' what it was back in Ohio. What I'd give for a truckload of good 'ole' Ohio topsoil!! Not only that, you are making me terribly homesick for all the spring flowers - trilliums, tulips, lilacs, peonies!! Keep posting those pictures and just maybe I'll survive my first summer in the tropics.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Marilyn!

We'll hear a pitiful little voice from Naples....I'm mellllllting!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

At least your not dragging sheets out in the yard to cover everything tonight, Plumbago. :D

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I made a little fort out of seat cushions from the patio chairs - the basement vent will heat the area nicely. Heck, it kept the nicotiana in front of it alive all winter and it's blooming already!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.