Poppysue-The poppy patch is starting to bloom.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I wanted to keep you up to ate on the patch I asked you about earlier. In a week, it should be stunning. The poppies are monsters this year for some reason. The papavers that Mitjo sent me are about to overwhelm the glads and watsonias and they are at the fence line.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh MY!! You've done a great job :o) I know lots of people have trouble with poppies in the warmer zones. When did you plant them? I haven't even started mine yet.

Looks like have a great color assortment too.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

They are seeds that escaped from the carton that I was tossing the old poppies from last year into after I had taken all the seed i "wanted." I don't start them, they come up when they will. I just toss seed around at the end of the season for next year and pull like mad in Feb. Lol. If I plant on purpose, I plant in the fall. The papavers should bloom this week or so. They have my vote for the ugly bud award.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is an orange one trying to close up for the night.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

A red one- looks like a bee was busy in this one. I like the grey pollen.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Pretty in Pink

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

A frilly pink. This one throws doubles for some reason. I will post a picture of the next one for you. They re really fancy.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2004 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Thought you might like a shot of the rockets. We are hoping for an 8 footer tis year. The arch beyond them is a 7 foot arch which will be the home of my pear tomatoes this year. They get so long and rangy that they shade the other tomatoes so I gave them their own arch this year. Lol. See the papavers in the back corner trying to outgrow the bulbs.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2004 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

One more of sleepy poppies. I love the way they fold up in the evening. It looks like they are saying their prayers as the inner petals fold first.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Poppysue...Here in zone 6 in Pa I just sewed my poppies.......I throw them around in April when it is still cool and have no problem with them growing....Would think it is about time at your house also.....

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I think its so cool when I walk the garden in the morning and find bees still asleep on the poppies.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

I started a new flower bed of mostly annuals last year. I forgot that I planted a bunch of poppies from seed. They never came up, and I forget now what they even were. Well lo and behold, as I was out walking last night looking at the beginnings of spring, I saw a whole mound of new poppy growth. Can't wait to identify them when they bloom. They are so beautiful and so good at self seeding.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I have the best results with the ones that re-seed. Mother nature always does so much better than I can :) Your pictures are great, Frogs. I can't wait for things to get growing here. All I have now are a few crocus and snowdrops!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.