needing fast shade what would you do.

Foley, AL

I live in zone 8 and what would someone suggest as a good tree and bush that would go good together? I am more of a tropical gardner than a southern gardener. I would like something non toxic for the dogs. and I am stumped... I was thinking of bamboo for the right border but goodness. of bamboo gard would be expensive "I think" I have only seen it for 3.50 a foot "don't hold me to that" but some where around that.. I can get bamboo for free... I can't go with castor oil they bare toxic seeds... and the back yard is where my kennel is. I plan on putting some of those in the front yard. but what do you think.... everything is full sun and I have 1 big tree in the front a mullberry I believe and they are so yummy! I love the rice paper plant but I don't know what type of light it needs I believe most shade...

whatcha think????

Ely

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Poplar trees grow pretty fast. There are a few different hybrids though so you would have to find something that suits you. One thing that I don't really like about fast growing trees is that they usually don't live very long. Just an FYI. Good luck.

Foley, AL

That tree is ify! I thought about them but have never seen one. Pictures don't do anything justice...It was actually something I had in mind seven feet a year sounds good...but it seems like I would also have to find a good hybird to try they live longer....I would also think I would have to water them like crazy....

ely

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

ely i have some poplar hybrids, I will post picture later we planted them 5 years ago and they are 20- 30 feet tall now, they do love water I don't and have never watered mine but don't plant near your septic tank they have shallow roots systems and will run to water sources. also they would probably be the first to fall in a hurricane just something to think about.

Foley, AL

thanks spring song...
that is another thing I needed to know...

Gooding, ID(Zone 5a)

In June of 2000 we bought a house that had been rented out while it was for sale (for years). The back yard (west side)had mostly died out and there were not ANY trees. It was an oven out there as well as in the second floor bedroom. We also needed shade trees fast.

I purchased three Androscoggin that fall and planted them. I'd like to say that I did everything I was told to but I didn't. We did pretty good but not perfect. We watered pretty much regularly (my way is to trickle a hose until I remember it's running and then move it to the next one!) and we used what fertilizers we had on hand (used up some old tomato miracle gro stuff once).

Last year (2003) was basically their third summer. The difference they have made is amazing.

We planted another tree in fall of 2001 to provide shade for where I park my van. It has already made a difference. I am so impressed with these trees that I tell everyone I know. I added it to the plant database and posted my pictures if you 'd like to check them out.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/64567/index.html

I know I live in zone 5, you may want to check out the website where I bought my trees from. www.fasttrees.com They include pictures of their trees from their customers around this region (TX UT ID AZ etc.)

No they probably won't live a long time, but if they will last for about 10-15 years while my other trees mature, then I'll have some firewood AND shade! It's either wait 10 years for shade and have long living trees or try to combine both needs and make it work.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/64567/index.html

This message was edited Apr 28, 2004 3:20 PM

Thumbnail by mommydi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.