HELP! with Cape Honeysuckle

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I just got my plant in the mail and it has a nice thick stem that branches out into "Y". Nice healthy plant with blooms, but one of the "Ys" broke off in shipping. Can I root this? Do you have to tie this vine to a support or does it cling by itself?
Pati

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Don't know about the piece that broke off, but my cape honeysuckle is more of a bush than a vine. Everybody down here has them in their yards and they get big and bushy.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Pati, Cala is right that it is really a bush that needs support. You can root the piece that broke off in a glass of water. Cuttings root easily. I wouldn't worry about your new plant; it will grow big and bushy in no time. These plants get to be huge in time!

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

In Carmel I saw a 8ft high by 15ft long set of bushes, they do grow.

Thanks everybody for your replies. Also for the fact that you didn't remark on how dumb I am *grin*. DUUUUH, I saw Honeysuckle and thought vine. I never heard of a Honeysuckle bush before. But.....now that I have one, I'm going to enjoy watching it grow (I hope)
Pati

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Pati, here is the link to the pdb entry for Cape Honeysuckle:

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1758/index.html

They're great hummingbird plants.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I can attest to both the size (this pic is taken from a second storey window)........ Need a semi-full of cuttings?

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

......and the hummers loving it.

Thumbnail by stellapathic

Thanks for the link and pictures. Now I have to re-think where I'm going to plant it. That is ONE BIG BUSH! I have a short piece of chain link fence that I may plant it in front of that will block the view into my backyard. Great!
Pati

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I saw a yellow one for sale today at a local nursery. It didn't seem to be as vigorous.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Darn it, why is everything I like to tropical for my area? I really like this one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.