Does anyone know which peony this is?

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

They were my honey's Grandma's and they got plowed over when we had our addition dug. (I was so upset, I cried!) We tried digging them up but it was too late, they started to mold. I'd like to replace them in Grandma's honor but am not sure which ones they are. Please help.

Thumbnail by groovytee
Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the bush..

Thumbnail by groovytee
Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

Could be "Festiva Maxima" It is a very old cultivar of herbacious peony. Double, pure white (sometimes flecked with red in the center) fragrant, early season. Should be pretty easy to find/less expensive since it is an older one. They are beautiful. Good luck, MW

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much! I will look for it. Thank you thank you thank you!

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

I agree - "Festiva Maxima." Nice thought about replacing it Grandma's honor.

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh tree.... what a nice thing to do. I'm sure I have this peony. Didn't know it's name but it's been in my garden for years and years I'll bet. Having done some dividing two years ago, if that type shows up I'd be happy to share one with you. Have to wait and see which one is the Maxima cause I didn't put in markers to identify! That is unless you have to find one now! I wouldn't blame you. . :)

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the kind words all...

Koko, I haven't bought one yet because I ran out of room in the section of the yard I'm allowed to garden in for now, LOL. We still have to bring cement trucks and such into the yard so I don't dare plant anything else for now. I will get one for the fall or maybe we can trade? I have a dark Magenta one that's a double that I got from my mom that I can probably trade if you'd like. I'll post a pic when it blooms. Let me know. tonisuppa@comcast.net

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I was looking quite closely at the photo. Is is white in the center and are the outer petals a very pale pink?-when older the white stands out, the outer fall back a bit-the center (stigma, stamens whatever are red) and it has a strong scent?
I have a large patch of what I described and it looks like the 2 side flowers-esp. the one on the left. I had thought mine was a Festiva-until I looked very closely last year, I did get a library book and have a few names of "old" types to check when mine are up and in a blooming stage. In the book it looked like Madame Culot or Dutches de Nemours( but it is hard to tell from the photos they showed. They have just broken dormancy here.

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, it does have pale pink petals on the outside! You described it very close to mine. It looks alot like this one 'Dutchess de Nemours' http://www.bdlilies.com/p130.html. And it does have a very strong, beautiful fragrance. Oh thanks so much! The one in the middle actually was the only one on the whole bush that was all pale pink. I thought it was so pretty. How I miss them... I will replace this fall.

Hi, It also looks like Marie Lemoine-In any case and whoever it is-I would bet it is the same and I will have some available this fall. Why don't you make a note to check with me in the fall and remind me-also contact me now and I can put it in my appointment book (which records my life) and I will check back with you-we should not have to lose our heritage.!!

Hi, an article by a local horticultualist recommended transplanting after bloom in order to give the plants time to settle in before the winter, as you are in a climate close to mine-this may be an option depending on what life is like at the time. What things do you have to trade? I do plants, jewelry craft, collect rocks for gardens and special papers ( rice etc.

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Marcia, I am only establishing my gardens now and don't have much to trade yet. I do appriciate the offer. I did get growth on the roots that had gotten moldy so I think I may have saved two pieces although they are too little to bloom this year. I was excited to see them growing at all! Thanks again for the offer, that is very kind of you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.