Vine for a shady wall?

Beverly Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

Any ideas on what might grow up a shady wall? I just planted calladiums & so far hostas all died, so I really need something I can't kill!

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

English Ivy likes shade - and it climbs.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Climbing Hydrangeas (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris) will grow up a wall in shade.

I'm not certain; but, I don't think Hostas do all that well in our mild climates. I think they like a bit of winter chill. Don't feel too bad!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Bambi,

Check out this thread on this pretty vine:
http://davesgarden.com/t/365262/shade+vine

Donna

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I think the climbing figs, Ficus pumila, also do fine in shade to part shade.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ficus%20pumila&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Just be careful, if it is crawling up your (or your landlord's) house, that you don't plant something you regret later. In our temperate climate, a lot of these can be pretty invasive and difficult to get rid of once they get big.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

English Ivy is a great climber and darn hard to kill. It will also climb on its own without support from you.

I have had success with Confederate (or Star) Jasmine in the shade when I used it on a trellis.

Is english ivy a fast grower? Is there a good source online for a lot of it? I just checked the nursery near my house & they don't have it.

Atlanta, IN(Zone 5a)

Since your wanting something for a wall, ivy would be a good bet and it does grow fast.

If your looking for something on a trellis, there is now a clematis that will grow in the shade. Im going to go see if I can find it and I'll send you the link....if I can figure out how.

Atlanta, IN(Zone 5a)

Well I couldn't figure out how. But the clematis is called Silver Moon. And it's said that growing it in the shade gives it a pearly effect. You can check it out at Wayside Gardens.

Thanks so much!

Here is a bit of information about types of vines,heights and growing conditions. You may find something that you like from the list given.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1101.htm

Here are some that grow in shade.

VINES BEST IN SHADE:

Algerian Ivy (Hedera canariensis). Large-leafed, evergreen ivy is an excellent climbing ground cover on north facing walls and under trees. Slow down its extremely vigorous growth by cutting back on fertilizer and water. Use the lighter, variegated variety to brighten darkly shaded areas. Climbs by use of aerial rootlets so watch out for stucco and other porous masonry surfaces.

Creeping Fig (Ficus pumila). Dainty, evergreen vine starts out slowly then accelerates to cover large areas in a short time. Provides excellent cover in medium to dense shade; looks great on chimneys. Will climb equally well on wood, masonry or metal. Small, delicate leaves become larger and thicker with age. Water moderately in summer, deeply and infrequently otherwise.

Periwinkle (Vinca Major). Glossy, evergreen vine makes a colorful ground cover in shady areas. Long, trailing stems, topped with lavender blue flowers root as they spread; will climb with support. Best with enriched soil, good drainage and moderate water. Feed regularly with Dr. Q’s® Tree, Shrub & Vine Food.

Lilac Vine (Hardenbergia violacea), covered with lilac flowers in spring. Give it PM shade - - may winter over.

Pink Chinese Jasmine (Jasminium polyanthum), intensely fragrant, pink flowers in spring, best in shade, frost tender.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2004 8:03 AM

Here's a photo of the area that will not grow....

Thumbnail by back2back

Here's the other side....HELP!!!!

Thumbnail by back2back
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Bambi, here is the address from where I got my English Ivy. I thought it was very reasonable and they sent nice rooted runners. http://www.musserforests.com/prod.asp?p=ENI

Irving (Dallas area), TX(Zone 8a)

I would definitly go for English Ivy, and I would be happy to send you some.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

How about hedera 'goldheart' ivy - it is lovely in the shade. Maybe not as fast as you want - I've had mine 5 or so years and now I have plenty but it is gorgeous!!

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I have tons of English Ivy you can have for postage. Also have Virginia Creeper vines.

Julie just sent me a huge, huge, huge box of english ivy this morning which I can't wait to get planted. A few patchs of heuchera came back. I also planted some brugs this week & they seem very happy in the shade. So far not a peep out of the 200 calladium bulbs I planted. Thanks everyone. My shade garden is definately the most challenging part of this house.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've heard that English Ivy is considered invasive in some areas, and is hard to kill. My hubby's parents have it growing everywhere, and it is climbing up and killing their pine trees. It is completely out of control. Just a word of caution. It IS pretty - but if you don't stay completely on top of them you could have a problem on your hands.

Charleston, SC(Zone 7b)

As far as I currently know, English Ivy doesn't become horribly invasive in the climate of Los Angeles/Southern Cal. Anyone know for sure?

It really *loves* wet, temperate places and has become a devastating problem from Santa Cruz (northern California) on up through Western Oregon and Washington. The Oregon Native Plant Society gives it the highest possible ranking of negative impact on the environment and goes on to note that it "Completely overruns forest understories and riparian areas. An immense and expensive problem. Avoid it like the plague (which it is!)."

The mature plants flower and produce berries which are edible by some birds (and toxic to many others) --and then the seeds are shed *everywhere*, including forests and other wildlands. Huge efforts are being made by volunteers, and also huge amounts of money spent, to remove the ivy which is outcompeting our native plants and killing forests. It is a *massive* problem here in Western Oregon. I am as happy (here in Portland, Oregon) with the massive ivy growth, which I inherited at my new garden, as I am with the abundant Himalayan Blackberry there too:->

Uh, in other words, it is currently a pitched battle to try and get all the leaves and stems and roots out and quarantined! Birds eating ivy berries on my urban back fence will spread those seeds to more than my garden --green spaces and trees near and possibly afar are endangered.

But just as I envy the sumptuous tomato growing weather of Southern California, I suspect they may be safe from our Pacific Northwest Ivy Plague.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

wow, I don't think we have those problems here. I'm in zone 6b in the NC mountains. I have some, it hasn't grown too quickly and I can control it from encroaching. The best part is that it is evergreen. Mine have never gotten berries on them, either. However, it doesn't sound like the best choice for your location. Good luck finding the right vine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.