Coffee Can advice?

knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am painting coffee cans today to match the deck/house - the really BIG size of them. I am painting them a nice almond color. Anyway, I am wondering what I shoudl start from seed that will live and thrive in these coffee tins? I have an abundance of herb seeds including various basils, dills, oreagnos, sages and marjorams and savory. But I also have a cache of a million other standard flower seeds from being the last on several "seed box passes" in the past. What does the best in small containers in sunny summer weather in Zone 7?
Thanks for advice!
I am ready to get started!
-heather

knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Also, just so you know, I am going for plants that will prove pretty THIS summer as far as growth goes...

thanks again
heather

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Heather, I am in Knoxville also. Hopefully, we can meet sometime and compare plants.

Regarding your cans, have you drilled drainage holes in them? Many of the herbs will do well in smaller containers. And portulaca (moss rose) will do well even in tiny containers and they can handle being placed in full sun. Small asparagus ferns or ornamental grasses (like bunny tails) also might be a good option.

One thing to watch with metal containers, is that they heat up if placed in full sun. Most plants do better in our hot summers if their root balls are kept cooler. Nat

knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, I did drill plenty of drainage holes...hopefully I can get something started in it - and post a picture here if I do.
Do you think if I keep the cans on the ground they will stay a little cooler? Also, since I am painting OVER the silvery metallic tin with a light almond color, maybe that will help, too.
Hope so...

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Please do post pictures when you get done. I am clueless on whether sitting them on the ground will help with the heat. Of course, if you see that things are getting too hot, you can always move them. I move around a lot of my containers as the summer progresses.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i have these small metal planterson a north wall, i would always forget to water. this sedum thrived in them. i only stuck in a couple of pieces into each pot and voila

Thumbnail by debi_z

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.