CLOSED: Bug nest???

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Just found this hanging in my Bald Cypress,any ideas?? should I keep it,or is it something that I do not want??
Root.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

OMG that's scary looking....

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I know its a cacoon but never saw what came out of it so dont know what to tell you. Ive seen them here quite often, you would think I would have kept an eye on them to see what creepy crawler came out so I could hide from it or feed it.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL! Don't scare me!! Sure is one hardcore looking nest!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

What you have looks just like a bagworm. It doesn't come out of the bag at all and it eats all of the foliage it can. Those are nasty things to deal with.

http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/pests/g07250.htm

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Nice job Pins!! that is good enough for me,as long as I am not killing praying mantis or something else,ladybugs,I am going to pull it down,Thanks!!!

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

THis is a Praying Mantis egg sack. You can find them in rose bushes, tall grasses, butterfly bushes. I have several of these all over my property. We bought a few a couple of years ago and they keep multiplying. Great to have in the garden.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Cathy! Good to see you. I have one Preying Mantis egg sack I found so far this year. Those Mantis' are so cool! I watched one eat a bumble bee last year. it took him like an hour but he ate the whole thing. Weird but cool...

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Whoa, Root. That thing would of scared the living daylights out of me. That sucker is huge. Enough to take over the world. Creepy Crawlers. Gives ya the jeebers. Be careful taking that thing down.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cathy, when do they hatch out? I want to get some egg sacks for my garden this year. Was just wondering when they are in the wild if they hatch early or wait until it is really warm when the bugs are out.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I love the Mantis,we were sitting out in the backyard,drinking beer,this little guy figured out the flies were coming to the beer,he would sit there and grab one,take it down to the table,chow it down,and head right back up the bottle,smart bug,and we liked not having flies on our beer.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Root, drinking and eating with your bud!

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Brugie, they hatch when the night temps stay in the seventys, 3 nights of 70 or above and they hatch. So we usually start seeing them mid summer.

groovytee, if you found one, there's probably more. Just be careful when cleaning your garden this Spring. There great to have, just watch what you drinking.

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Here was mine from last summer on the Marigolds...

Thumbnail by groovytee
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Cathy. They seem to possibly be my cure for the cucumber beetle. Can't hurt to try anyway.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

JMO.......
...........I think these are what my kids called mud wasps, never did know the correct name for them.
............... We find them in the barns quite often of varied sizes. This one is huge!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

But I hardly think a mud nest would survive outdoors ........ D U H !!!!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Glad to see you enjoy your beer in a bottle.

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

HELLO

LOL howardg...........
great outlook........

bilyn

Palmetto, FL

An insect house ? These are hard, cone shaped, looks like sea shell material - found hanging in a pole barn on certain vines.

Thumbnail by FROG0655
Clairton, PA

We had lots of nests with tiny mantises walking around. I hope no birds got them. That bagworm nest would scare the daylights out of me. I would be tempted to buy a flamethrower! here is a picture of mama or papa mantis.

Thumbnail by twinkle556
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

You also have mistletoes or maybe witch's broom on your tree behind the bagworm.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

not mudwasps, paper wasps, looks like yellow jackets, but i think that one maybe the bagworm

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Definitely a bagworm. They need to be pulled off when you see them. :-)

Canton, OH

Whoa!!! That nest is SWEET!!! .Never saw anything like it.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I had a stick bug fall on my chest last summer I thought the tree was loosing twigs till it started walking all over me I showed it to my two daughters that watch it for a few minutes and then I have him or her a hand to go back into the tree it fell out of hope to see some again this summer love interesting bugs

pic

Thumbnail by scicciarella
Canton, OH

Hey,Cbrandonburg,I found a nest simlilar to that mantis egg sac u have a pic of..It was on the spoke of my boyfriend's old bike that had been sitting in the weeds for a while.Is this also a mantis egg sac??

Thumbnail by Nature_Phtgrphr

that does look like it you have a good eye to see that there is about 400 eggs in there when they come out they kinda look like ants only a few will survive to be adults

Oakland, MD

most definitely a bagworm!

I burn worm bags I spray them with lighter fuel and set them ablaze lol I hate them they hatch and eat everything they can reach so early spring I walk around the property and everyone I find goes up in flames

Kaplan, LA

What kind of nest is this

Thumbnail by doubled1963
Kaplan, LA

A different view

Thumbnail by doubled1963
Sinks Grove, WV

Not a nest; it appears to be an empty cocoon of a moth in the family Saturniidae (giant silk moths), such as a polyphemus moth - see http://tinyurl.com/yjg7r2y for an example.

Santa Rosa, CA

found a mud/clay-like nest in the corner of wood outside my front door, hosed it down and a million baby spiders and their larger Mother, I suspect went splat on the ground - all dead. the mother was black, babies had black bodies and brown legs. the legs were relatively thick. never saw a nest of this making. very curious. any ideas?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.