Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

OK, I have a sickness and despite a complete lack of space I cannot seem to stop accepting plants to grow. My latest additions to my tomato collection are Principe Borghese and Juliete. Both are healthy transplants and since I have so little space, but cannot say no to a neighbor's gift, I wanted to know if anyone has grown these before?

I'm thinking of trying to plant them in containers, but am not sure if either variety will be suitable for a 5 or 10 gallon pot. At first I thought, small-fruit varieties, must equal small plants....then I remembered those 8 foot tall yellow pear plants that literally took over last year!

If they can go into containers, what is more important? Container depth or width?--I also hear people say you should use a 5 or 10 gallon container, but that could be in many different shapes right? Any thought?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Juliet does have a humongous vine, but if you trellis it a 5-10 gallon pot would probably do fine. Tomatoes are deep rooted, so 10 -12 inches in depth should be suffient.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just make sure they get plenty of water and they ought to do ok in 5 gal pots...the 10's would be even better.

Proper moisture is the key...and room for those roots to grow.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i grew principle borghese last yr. they stayed pretty short. maybe 3' tops. production was great and so was the taste. i think it would make a good potted plant. with minimal staking.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bump.

I'm planning on ordering the Principe Borghese this year so I can dry them.

Farmgirl21, did you dry or eat fresh?

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm trying them for the first time and hope to dry a bunch. Thanks for bumping this up as I was wanting to know how tall they got.

Dover, NJ

I've grown Juliet several seasons in a homemade EB, and it grew just fine. It is a vigorous, very productive plant that puts out lots of branches. In fact, if you don't use cages, you may have trouble containing it (it doesn't lend itself well to staking). This year is the first year I'm not growing Juliet--I'm replacing it with Sugary, which is very similar but much sweeter. The taste of the Juliets was good, but not great. The only other drawback to Juliet is that the fruits fall too easily, sometimes when you just brush against them, so you'll lose a few that aren't ready to pick. But its productivity is pretty impressive! If you don't have a container, try a grow bag. You can pick up small quantities on ebay.

Mark

Dover, NJ

You know, I just looked at my post, and noticed that this thread started in 2004!!!! I hope Shane did well with those 2 plants!

Mark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.