yellow leaves ??

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

i got several dendrobiums in a trade..most are doing well but a couple are getting yellow leaves and one has dropped its leaves-- they are not in direct sun-- in fact i moved them to my bathroom area where fish glass provides light and i thought it would be a good humid place for them..
i am stumped as to why this is happening - and why not happening to all of them-- my other dens have been totally neglected and in FULL sun for years and they are still going strong - well at least they are survivors and have toughed it out-- they have never gotten yellow leaves and now that they are receiving care are thriving
any help on this would sure be appreciated-- i would hate to loose my new orchids
thanks

Some Dens are deciduous depending on their ancestory, others will lose leaves if they are too cold and/or dry. A lot of bathrooms tend to have quite big temperature and humidity fluctuations which your Dens might not like

When I moved home last autumn several of my Dens suddenly went yellow and dropped leaves, I was in a bit of a panic but they've come back by being moved to a rooms with a more constant temperature.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

I have a Dendrobium nobile hybrid I got in a certain ocasion (it was on the ground, detached from the others that were growing on that houseīs wall) thatīs doing someting similar. It grows like crazy. From one stem I plantes horizontally, it gave me over than 20 new ones in the last 4 years. No flowers yet.

After one year, they drop the leaves. But itīs not only that. The stem turns black in the leaf insertion areas, but donīt dry. Just stays black. Now I donīt know if it is suposed to drop leaves, or if itīs dropping leaves because of that black stem thing.

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

ok will move them today- maybe they are too dry-?? i am glad to know they will come back-- i checked the roots and they look pretty good and green so that gave me hope-
figured it may have been the shock of being in the mail and then being in new location too-- at least they dont have black stem - i have no clue what that would be at all-- sure hope u can save them--

Monocromatico
D. nobile are a deciduous species so it may be that the hybrid has that from it's parent. Sounds like it's over producing keikis though.

Swtp

If you can move them to a room that stays fairly constant (about 60F) and place them on gravel trays you water into they should come back fine but it will take a little while.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.