dry shade

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have deep overhangs off my roof and the area right in front of my house has nothing planted in it. I can't use a shrub unless it's quite diminutive so it has to be something like ajuga. That's because there's only a small strip of soil and then the paved driveway which almost comes right up to the door. I can get out of the car, and with 2 steps be at the front door. What can I put there that blooms longer than ajuga and can take a lot of shade? It's bright there, not like deep woods, but no direct sun. The only reason you see sun now is because the trees have not leafed out yet. The area I am talking about is to the left of the car.....

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

woodspirit, I'm new to the
gardening thing, but man o man
would wisteria look great there.
don't know if it would grow it
shade, but it sure would look
amazing

I checked in the Plants Database and they need sun to part shade. This spot is shady almost all the time, possibly a small amount of morning sun is all. But you did get me to thinking about a vine, so thanks for your response.....

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

This under the roof stuff is really difficult. Without watering a lot, there isn't much to plant. I gave up a couple of years ago and planted pieces of rock. I really like it, but have to restrain myself from using more, as it would start to look like a quarry.

Thumbnail by golddog
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I believe on previous threads someone mentioned epimedrums as good for dry shade. Hellebores will also take dry shade.

Another solution is good sized pots with those Soil Moist polymer crystals, which really helps prolong watering times. Boston ivy, or variegated ivy, up a trellis to add some height, would also work.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Yesterday I saw the cutest strawberry pots with a variety of sedums growing out of the pockets. I'll bet a large one would look great on either side of your door.

wow, thanks y'all. I really like the epimediums and also sedums. I also have plenty of rock to play with. I'll bet I can come up with something pretty cool. And I may plant some impatiens in with the polymer crystals

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Woods, don't forget to post a picture. I have kinda' the same situation.

Golddog, that's a pretty solution you came up with.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Here's a list for dry shade plants

http://www.berkeleyhort.com/plants/p_shade_dry.html

wow! thanks! that a great site. I wish they had used the common name, as well as the latin name, but I'll bet I can find them in the plants database. This is lots of help; thanks again!

Orrville, OH(Zone 6a)

My bleeding hearts are in dry and moist shade and are doing fine, also, spiderwort, and astilbe.

Columbus (Berwick), OH(Zone 5b)

I have similar problems with the overhang of my roof. I have done a couple of things. I have installed a low pressure irrigation system which helps during the summer. During the winter I through snow into those areas while I am shovelling, this includes my planter boxes which are part of the fascade on my house. This keeps them from drying out in the cold winter months. In the sping and fall when the spinklers are down I just make sure I hit plantings in these area with a watering can. My hostas do really well in these areas and I can usually tell when watering is needed by watching them. Here in Ohio low pressure watering systems are available at Lowes. Bestt investment I ever made.

I may try that. I bought one of those irrigating hoses which I couldn't get to uncurl and it was also unsightly. I wonder if there is an evergreen miniature shrub that likes dry shade?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.