8 Ball Zucchini and Thiram

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

I'd planted half the small package of 8 ball zucchini from Pine Tree Garden seeds before I noticed that the back of the package said it was treated with Thiram, and I could claim a credit if I wished.
What is Thiram?
Should I dig up my 8 ball zucchini seeds? (I'm disappointed because the 8 ball grew really well last year in my poor soil, but the seeds were very difficult to find this year, and I hadn't saved any of them from last year.)
So much for trying to grow garden produce to eat while also trying organically to improve the soil.

Santa Barbara, CA

Thiram is a fungicide applied to protect the seed against pathogens while germinating. Often there are only a few sources of specific seeds and seed protective materials may be applied to all those seeds before shipping to retailers. Some seed retailers offer the option of no treatment, others sell organic seed.

Whether you destroy the seeds or not is your decision. If you have had a hard time finding any other sources, then figure to grow out for seed saving this set of seed and vow never (lol) to plant treated seed again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.