New here

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Hi, thought I'd post here. I am currently on disability for major depression. I have had it all my life but this major depressive episode is going on 5 years! I have tried every medication for depression and then some, and they worked for about 6 years, then I became treatment resistant. I am still on meds to stop the suicidal thoughts, but that is about all they do. There are so many things I can't do anymore - work, hobbies, read, etc. I am so tired of fighting this and if I give into it, I'll end up in the hospital again.
The meds I am on have some side effects that makes some things more difficult. Such as driving and sleeping....
Sorry, I could go on and on. But I just wanted to say HI and reading your guys' posts lets me know that I just have to get through each day.
Gardening is the only hobby that I have left - and although it goes slowly, as it takes me forever to do something, it is the only thing I look forward to - that is to the results that I will have someday.
Luckily, I have a great hubby for all the hard work. LOL. I make up the plans and he goes to shoveling compost or mulch or doing the tilling without complaint.
I am trying to make my garden as low maintenance as possible, as there are sometimes that I can't do anything. (I have killed numerous house plants because I couldn't find the energy to water them). I was wondering if anybody had any tips on making things low maintenance?
Mobi

Verona, ON

Welcome Mobi,
You will never find a more sincere or caring bunch of gardeners(people) as you will here at DG.
Post away, many of the people at this site have nifty ideas or tips on how to make you gardens low maintenance.Actually some of the methods of caring for your gardens that people have come up with are quite ingenious. I think the old saying "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" is so true and displayed quite well in this forum.
Sending you positive thoughts, hopes, vibes and prayers. D

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

wekcome mobi,
i too suffer from depression mobi, and i know just how debilitating it can be. this time of year, being the worst for me. i suffer with chronic pain and i'm basicly shut in all winter. i so look forward to the weather getting better because that means i can get outside into my gardens, and as i'm sure you know 'depression hates activity'. the suns warmth, the green sprouts pushing there way through the brown earth, leaves and debris left from fall that i couldn't remove, the sound of the frogs and insects coming from the woods behind my home all remind me that i'll be in my garden soon. oh yes and the wonderful smells, that great "earth" smell that just permeates the air in spring, all help to sustain me. i find a lot of strength in a higher power too. i understand suicidal thoughts and trying to keep my mind busy to keep them at bay, when i can't keep my body busy. dave's garden has been a lifesaver in many ways. this is my 5th year gardening and i found these wonderful people at the same time i started to garden. i have been blessed here in many ways. welcome and hang in there girlfriend. debi z and my little pekingese gardening buddy franklin.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hello Mobi and welcome to the "Garden". You came to the right place and I know we can make your gardening more enjoyable. I too am disabled by Post Polio and am very weak in my legs and almost had to give up gardening. Then I found the website for "EARTHBOX" and was able to resume gardening on a much larger scale than I ever imagined. With earthbox there is no weeding and no fear of overwatering and no additional fertilizing. It is a blessing for the disabled gardener and you can grow anything in them. Also check-out "Gardeners.com" for they have a scooter with a large seat on four wheels, ballon tires, that is guaranteed to hold up to 400 lbs. With this I can scoot all over and just admire my work,remember no weeding. If you have their catolog it's on page 42 - 43. Let us know what you think of these ideas!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden and this forum. May you find the friendship and help here that you need. I have had fibromyalgia since I was 5-I'm now 61-so I am familiar with the chronic pain and depression that can come from it. Have you tried light therapy and herbal treatments? Or is your depression almost strictly an imbalance of hormones in the brain? Just wondering. I've had bouts with being suicidal too so I understand the depth of your dispair. I do know that JESUS will be there to help you thru every day if you can just learn to lean on HIM totally. That is the hardest part. We all seem to think at times that we can do it ourselves or with a doctor's help only to find we really need JESUS to make it thru each day.

You can help cut down on the watering by useing the water absorbing crystals. Go to www.watersorb.com for great prices. If you use compost tea or something like Miracle Grow as the water to be absorbed by them it will act like a slow release fertilizer. Osmocote is good too for cutting down on fertilizing needs. Mulch is really good for keeping the soil moist too as well as constantly feeding the plants.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Mobi,

How are you doing?

I've been watching this thread since you posted, and I realized that you haven't posted to it lately?

Are you feeling any better? I've been thinking about you, and praying for you. Let us know you're OK, or if you're not.

Depression's the pits, literally, I know. Been there, still bothers me at times. I might be able to help you, if you'd like. You can e-mail me. Or at least post back.

Thanks!

Judith

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I am doing about the same... but I am increasing some meds and am just getting used to the side effects and my concentration is really bad. I just don't know how I get through it sometimes - In my case it is all chemistry. I've had since I was ten and I responded very well to meds initially. Nothing really helps but sleep and I have insomnia! This is a crazy life!
Thank you for all your responses. I have set up a drip system so that watering is much easier. The earthbox looks interesting and I have a hubby who likes to dig up the weeds.
I am also thinking of lining all my outdoor pots with sphagnum moss because it absorbs water... anyone have any experience with this?

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

The side effects are tough, I know. But hopefully the good effects will come to outweigh the bad ones soon. It just takes a while sometimes.

If you're up late, you are welcome to join us other nightowls on one of the postings I inadvertantly started. But I'm glad it worked out that way, as I am up 'til all hours, and joined by many others. It started as "Pond, are you still out there" on the "jokes & chat" forum. There's one on here too, but that's a different one. You'll find someone most nights, at most times of the night and early am. Sometimes the earlybirds get up in time to join us!

And if you're into just good old silliness, we have a really long thread that was started months ago on the Jokes & Chat forum as "Barn Dance" that I have joined in with, and we've sort of taken it on the road now. More like a cyber garden party/plant swap now. Some of us are up pretty late on that one too! Join us if you'd like. We'd be happy to put you on our list to visit and take you and your DH with us along the way!

Judith

This message was edited Apr 7, 2004 2:54 AM

This message was edited Apr 7, 2004 3:00 AM

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

One of the things I like the most about DG (and there are so many!) is that almost always, you can find someone up when you are...

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

That's for sure! I'm still up, looking at this long row of pills I have to take before I go to sleep.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i find it hardest to take the night medications too. don't know why? well in the morning it is pretty easy cuz i'm usually feeling pretty lousy. ;)

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh, I'm just as bad in the morning, maybe worse!

I can't deal with taking them when I first wake up. Gotta have that coffee, you know!

Being the nightowl that I am, it's late when I wake up. My DH brings me a glass of water with my coffee. That's how I can remember if I've taken am pills or not. If it's still full, I haven't.

But often, I get involved in something, the phone rings, whatever, and realize that it's mid-afternoon, and my glass is still full.

Oh well, I guess that's still morning to me!

As long as we take them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.