new sofa or re-upholster?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have an old sofa and chair from the 40's. Good quality. From a deceased friend. I love the style and size. Fabric is dull tan but in pretty good shape. I am now at the point, after years of dreaming, to move forward on the question of replacing or re-upholster. Re-upholster has been my plan but a discussion re: the condition of the frame etc. has had me thinking. An upholsterer with an excellent reputation has a shop 1 mile from me. I am assuming he will tell me if the frame is worth it; dry brittle wood? And a neighbor with "quality taste" told me she got her new sofa at a place that sells stuff similar to the Pottery Barn but 25% less. What kind of furniture, style and quality, does the Pottery Barn sell?If there were no bottom line it would be sooooooo simple. Could I get good sofa and chair for $2200 or less? Is re-upholstery in that range? I am almost too scared to look and then be overwhelmed with the prices$$$.

This thread has 25 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!