Sarah Bernhardt is sprouting!

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

I planted her without really investing much hope that I would see results since it was my first peony, but I was out in the front bed and there were sprouts coming up through the ground. I'm excited - I hope she does well, and looks like my Grandma's used to ...that is why I bought one in the first place, it reminded me of my dear Grandmother. She had light pink ones, but I never knew the names. She lived in Missouri...

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Isn't it exciting to see the first sprouts? I planted a new one 2 yrs. and didn't do all the stuff they recommended and it grew just great. (Maybe it would be bigger if I did the compost under it, etc.) I was sure happy to see it is about 3" tall this pm. :)

It is exciting when you see the unexpected...I was also surprised by the poppy seeds I scattered - they started coming up. I was out pulling weeds and stopped myself from yanking them out, I realized just in time! I would like more peonies once I see how this one does. In Texas I guess they are questionable...What peonies are you growing?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I have inherited quite a few from MIL with the house. Mostly 3 different pinks and a white. I planted a red called 'Double Red' - that sure helps a lot, doesn't it? Wish they'd label it correctly. On another peony thread I listed the ones that did best in z7 but can't think which thread right now. I'll check in a bit....

edited to add: found it - Gilbert H. Wild and Son catalog lists these for southern gardens - Big Red Boomer Sooner, Bowl of Beauty, Carol, Kansas and Duchess de Nemours. It adds -please note that you must still have some freezing temperature to get bud set! Good Luck!

This message was edited Apr 7, 2004 12:54 AM

Thanks! I'll see if I can look those up and find photos. I read once that you can keep ice on the ground for bulbs that need a chill to help them along...don't know if it works. One of my favorites is Sorbet, and I saw Green Lotus and loved it, but wanted to try Sarah Bernhardt first. I saw her and Kansas at my local nurseries and assumed that meant they did best in our zone. Let's hope so!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Order the Gilbert H. Wild and Son catalog - look them up in the Garden Watchdog - they have quite a few peonies. I love dreaming......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.