Tai Chi

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I started a Tai Chi class today.

Tai Chi was wonderful, so much so that I have just ordered some instructional videos on Amazon. Our instructor is an older man, and a chiropractor, and seems quite a good and patient instructor. However, the class is large, maybe 50 or so people, and I fear I won't learn all the moves nor learn to do them correctly... no personal help, and hard to see/hear, hence the videos. I'll have to think of getting my large mirror from storage, too, so I can see my 'form' as I exercise at home.

I can tell you it's the best overall exercise program I've ever seen, esp. for older folks. We spent 20-30 minutes just 'warming up' and it stretched muscles I forgot I had... and all with low-impact. None of the aerobic jumping exercises, just stretching various muscle groups until we had them all. You should have heard all the knees popping! Dennis (instructor) stresses that this form of exercise will increase balance, help avoid falls (esp. with hip problems), improve ALL joint functions, and aid in eliminating many of the bone and muscle degenerative diseases of the aging.

I'm sold, just by how my body feels.... which is very tired but
exhilarated at the prospects I can already 'feel in my bones'. My body also feels very sore and I wonder if I shall even be able to walk tomorrow! My, but it's a GOOD tired!

Tai Chi is part of Kung Fu... the slow movement part, and also part of QiGong.

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!