Bird of Paradise Tree?

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

Has anyone grown one with success in my zone? I love the way they look, but hate to invest in one and have it for a few years only to lose it to a hard freeze down the road....Maybe there is a great way to protect them from that.

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Would this also be known as the Pride of Barbados? Or maybe you're talking about the Royal Poinciana. If you are talking about the royal poinciana I wouldn't even try it. They don't take the cold/freeze very well. The Pride of Barbados might take your winters with heavy mulching. Don't know for sure though. Good luck.

Caesalpinia gilliesii is the Bird of Paradise tree I'm looking at, I think it is Pride of Barbados or very similar. I saw a mature one on a local garden tour once and it was spectacular.

So you are talking about the one with the yellow blooms. I have seedlings of the yellow ones but don't know if it's thesame one you are talking about. There seem to be a few yellow ones. I won't know for sure which one it is until it blooms. I also have Caesalpinia pulvherrima wich is my favorite. It is the one with the red and yellow blooms. You can see a photo of it at this link;
http://www.pwbelg.clara.net/seeds/Seedpics/Caesalpinia_pulcherrima.jpg
I have very little experience with the yellow one but expect that they would be just as easy as the red ones to grow. In zone 7b, I would also expect that you would have to baby them a bit. I'll look around and see what I find. I know the red one to also be called "Mexican Bird of Paradise". I'll let you know what I find if anything.

Thanks! The red and yellow would be the one I'm wanting. I didn't know there were two.

Yeah, those are neat. I wish I had more info for you but I have only had these in my zone. I lived in Texas (also in zone 8b) but have never had them outside of this zone so I wouldn't know for sure. I know that they seem pretty hardy and require almost no protection in my zone so I imagine that with a little protection in your zone they would be fine. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.