Heating A Greenhouse

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

We are going to build a greenhouse out of old windows this spring and I bought a pot belly stove at an auction (hubby was ready to shot me) he didn't go to the auctions with me. But I was wondering do you think this would work for heating greenhouse in the winter? I know it would take some work in keeping the fire going. Not sure yet of the size of the greenhouse, we are going to take a shed down and put this greenhouse up in its place. Hoping to make the greenhouse bigger than the shed. Thanks for your help. Cathy

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Cathy, DH is putting up a greenhouse, he is using hot water heat. First he put sand on the floor,then styrofoam, then coils for the water to go thru, then sand and gravel to cover all.
The water stove, in a separate building, is also used to heat our house and water. I put a couple pictures on this forum last week.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I admire your gumption to keep a stove burning long enough to keep the greenhouse going. Remember we had less than zero degree days up here in the northeast last winter.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

We heat our house with a wood stove all winter, hubby's cheap!! He hates when the furnace comes on. Wood is easy to come by. I do have a back up propane heater that I will use if were not home. My first greenhouse is a double layer of plastic and I use a oil furnace for a couple of months in the spring to heat it, and it eats up the oil. So that's why I wanted to heat this greenhouse with wood.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I think it's gonna depend on the size of your g-house and the size of your stove also. My first g-house (about 12X 12) was heated completely heated by wood. However, my present g-house (35X50) just never stayed warm enuff with a wood stove.

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

yah, I have a drum stove for my 30by 100
just isn't enough... even with all the used motor oil/wood/etc mixture I pour into it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.