Front Door Welcome Plant

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

What plant or plants do you have in the alcove by your front door?

Looking for some ideas for a plant to go by our front door. It faces east, so it has to be able to take some direct sun in the morning and almost none the rest of the day.

I'd like something colorful and not too finicky.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I can't remember the names of all these plants, but a picture says......

THis is my outside entryway, a northern exposure, no direct sunlight, but the plants in this container could take a little morning sun and be happy.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Molly, that is lovely! It is coleus, dusty miller and something I can't identify. I am finding that dusty miller makes a wonderful companion plant to set off a more colorful plant.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

That is very pretty! I am doing geraniums in urns this next year. Don't have pics as I haven't done them yet.

I can't remember what that green thing in the middle is, but there are about 4 of them in there, even some short ones hiding down inside. I thought it was Philipine Violet but not sure now. They all require very little attention and still seem happy. I take my birds water dishes out about twice a week and pour down in there. (Kinda like a bird processed compost tea lol)

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Molly that's nice! Can Coleus take direct sun? My wife really likes "Inky Fingers", so maybe that would be a good choice. Also, thinking of Plectranthus, if I can find a decent plant. I had a cuban oregano once a long time ago, and would like to get one again.

Many coleus can take sun. I have some common ones that have 2-4 hours of a.m. sun and they do fine.

I'm not familiar with Plectranthus, but the information in the pdb indicates it would work very well for your plan.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I keep coleus and caladiums on my east facing porch and they do great. I have oriental lilies at my South facing back door in pots and they thrive there.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have one 16" pot by the door that has a dwarf Alberta spruce in it. It has been doing nicely for three years. Last year I planted a Patriot hosta in with it. In the summer, I put in herbs and/or annuals, lately osteospermum, nasturtium and alyssum. During Christmas, I put in greens. I do the same in the pot on the other side, except that this gets a prostrate rosemary and has an Asiatic lily planted in it. I have a cute piece of terra cotta sculpture in that one. I have a half basket hanging underneath my house number that gets annuals. Pansies first, then whatever happens to amuse me at the garden center. The lily bulbs do well in the containers. I have a couple more planted that way. since they are near the door, it is easier to fight off the lily beetles. So far, daily examination and handpicking have worked. I have window boxes on the deck rail and containers elsewhere. I found tete a tete daffodils at Home depot in 8 packs. Now I have really early daffodils blooming. My ones in the ground have a week or so to go.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.