Cleome Question

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

How long do these things bloom? This one has been blooming since I last posted its picture in November. The heavy stalk in the middle was the original bloom and is is around 12"high. I have never had these before. It has been a fun plant to watch develop.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

The heads have gotten smaller but it keeps fight on going.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Western, PA(Zone 6a)

These plants are great as fill-ins when other flowers are spent or not ready to bloom yet.

For the last few years I have grown the white Cleome ('Helen Campbell') and pulled up any that were not white. For a seed exchange.

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Here in Ontario we grow them in the summer and they last pretty much until frost and they can get quit big. They reseed themselves so in your climate they may just continue to come up all year round. Maybe if you tried cutting them back it may rejuvinate the plant and the flower will get bigger again. I don't know that for a fact, but might be worth a try.
FP

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

frogsrus, how did you start the Cleome seed? I have always had problems indoors, but hardly any problems outdoors. They seem to need a cool period to germinate here.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

golddog, if I put it in the ground and it grows it is a good plant. I start very little from seed.No cool season here. This plant is new to me so we will see if it reseeds.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I now understand.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I guess I should have said that I rarely start seeds in flats. I do not seem to have the knack. I seem to drown them or toast them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.