Are weeping cherry trees messy??

Decatur, IN(Zone 5a)

I've been wanting one as a specimen tree to plant on the east side of our house. Its a two story (baby blue) house and I think the pretty pink blooms would look really nice againt the so much blue of the house. We already have a red maple, birch, and bradford pear trees planted on the other side and in front of the house. My DH dislikes trees that make a lot of mess so he's turned down the crabtrees for that reason. I was just wondering if those of you that have the weeping cherry tree(s) feel they are too messy? Thanks in advance,
Gemila

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I have had one for over 3 years, but it is out in the yard, so have seen nothing messy. They are small pink blooms in spring and has cherry type leaves all summer. Does not shed or drop leaves, only mess(if you'd call it that) would be when the small blossoms fall in the spring.

I love mine! Hope this helps.

Gloria

Decatur, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you Gloria for helping. My DH's description of messy is the dropping of leaves, fruit and blooms. His favorite tree is the red maple planted up front and that of course drops all its leaves in the fall but for some reason he doesn't consider it messy. Only when I've suggested a crabapple he votes it down saying they are too messy. What he really wants is a Colorado Blue Spruce but the area is too small for one there. He's leaning towards a small pine needled pine/spruce tree he saw a few weeks back. I just think the pretty color of the weeping cherry would really look nice because of our house being so tall. I'll have to dig out a photo and post it to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks,
Gemila
BTW, I'm only about an hour away from Lima. Do you happen to know any garden center in your area that sells tropical plants besides Lowe's?? Thanks!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi,

We have DeHavens, Andersons, Home Depot, Mennards, on Cable Rd. west side of Lima, most have large potted trees.

I got my weeping cherry at our Lowes'. Then, there is a large Walmart store(East side, Harding Hwy).

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh... I love these trees. Someone told me they only live approx. 10 years. I never knew that.

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

how about a red bud tree? have you thought of one of those? just a suggestion.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

We have a weeping cherry tree in full bloom now. I'll try to take a pic of it tomorrow, it's not messy btw

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

I saw a beautiful cherry tree today at the Ft. Worth Botanic Gardens. Even the bark is attractive. Do they do well in alkaline soil?

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes, our water and soil are alkaline. Blooms every year.

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

I believe the ones we saw were "Kwanzon" cherries. They were gorgeous! What kind do you have?

Decatur, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for your advice. Sorry I didn't get around to posting a picture but I got my tree in the end. As a gift for Mother's Day, I was given a choice of what tree I wanted. Yes, he finally gave in and after much thought I picked the Redbud tree. I love those too and felt it would grow much better in proportioned to the house. It was just done blooming and is now starting to leaf out. I took a few pictures as we planted it but will post a photo when I get the pics developed. Thanks again for your kind advice. I feel blessed for being able to talk things out with such great gardening folks.

Gemila

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.