plant stands/container display

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Our pots are overflowing with beauties but now what? How do you ll get some up, some down, grouped together etc, Do you sit them on things...what "things?" Let's tell....what containers, what plant holders, tables walls...do tell!

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

i group mine kind of randomly-- just went to Big Lots this weekend and they have tons of plant stands very very cheap-plus all kinds of little statues that i hide among the pots

if u go to the general discussion forum and look for post about CHEAP POTTING BENCHES- i have posted pics of my backporch with the groupings of plants-- we just moved into this new house so things change on porch all the time but at least u might get some ideas-- also i use containers at front door entrance-- hope this helps- -

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I bought a picnic table at Home Depot. I used it at Christmas when the family get-together over flowed out of the dining room. BUT, since I live alone and don't have big crowds, I painted it Lavender and now have it covered in my plants!

I found it! Here's a picture of my Picnic table/flower stand. The best part is when the family gathers I can move the plants and we have the extra table space.

Thumbnail by patischell
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pati, I like how you have used your picnic table!

Dale, I don't think that there is a wrong or a right way to group plants. But I do think that groupings look better if you mix heights. I also use plant stands of various heights and will group small pots on small tables or around larger pots. It is tempting to just line pots up in a row - - but I think periodic groupings of 3-5 pots is more pleasing and provides a better focal point. I also try to make use of things that I already have like this broken birdbath that I converted into a plant stand. The petunias quickly covered my repaired area and I love how it turned out. Nat

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I found an old wooden ladder at a yard sale and use that for height. I put plants on all the steps, the top where the bucket goes and then I put planters around the bottom of it. I was looking for a picture I took last year and I can't find it on any disk. We had a computer crash this winter and I think I had it on my hard drive. You would be surprised at how many plants you can put on a ladder. It looked really nice, gowing to do that again this season.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This is what I did with a small space and extra plants and pots. http://davesgarden.com/t/385387/ I see I never added a new picture. Uh oh.

Pati, I love your picnic table - it looks great.

Nathalyn, Your Petunia is awesome! If you look waaay in the background of my pix of the table, there is a pink Petunia in a white stand. My son has two regulation clay horseshoe pits that have the iron pipes in the middle (so ugly!) I bought cheap plastic bird baths at K-Mart, made a hole in the bottom and put them over the iron pipes. Then I set a big bowl of Petunias in them. The pipe going up through the middle keeps them from tipping over in the wind, and when they want to play they just lift them off and set them aside. The first time my DS saw them, he was upset..thought I had ruined his pits!

Thanks Elsie, it gives me a lot of pleasure.

I LOVE the stacked pots and the ladder idea. Isn't it great all the new ideas we get on DG?
Pati

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pati, I was so focused on your picnic table I didn't notice you petunias in the background. I love that soft pink color.

My petunias were Priscillia Surfina (sometimes shown as Supertunia) - - they were the best petunias that I have ever grown. They stayed full and in full bloom until hard frost, and they seldomed needed deadheading. They are only propagated from cuttings and just a few cuttings taken last fall have resulted in enough for a large container.

I also saw a picture on the web, where someone had taken an old wooden ladder, painted it bright colors and used it as a trellis for vines.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Nat, your petunia IS gorgeous! I've had a few but never get many blooms like that.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Priscilla! I had that one (2 little 3" pots planted) in the pot with my Whiskers brug last year. Everyone said they had NEVER seen a petunia so floriforous and healthy. I hope I find it again, but I'm growing some double cascade 'Glorious' petunias from seed in case I don't. All the extra water and miracle grow probably didn't hurt either! lol

Thumbnail by ecobioangie
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Angie - great picture! That is a super idea to underplant brugs with this petunia. Priscilla needs a lot of water and fertilizer to keep the blooms coming. I am off to get more cuttings started!

I am growing double cascade Glorious petunias also. Great minds think alike!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

except I didn't think to get cuttings of Priscilla! :( I'm looking forward to the double cascades, but I'm going to keep them on the porch as I hear doubles don't like rain...

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a wooden 2x 8x 10 that sits on three cinderblocks. This bench is for my houseplants that require sun. teeny plants have chairs! I have a great variety of little chairs and benches I have found and I sit the 4" and smaller plants on them to get them up a little higher so you can see them. I am a great fan of the Big Lots for the wire plant stands. They are totally inexpensive and the the taller ones are great for getting my large hibiscus pots up to the right window level indoors and this year they had brown ones!! that match our deck! I have to get some more. I have white ones for the plants in my dining room, white walls and I use green ones every where else, but the brown ones are tops! My hibiscus are in 12" and greater pots and love the heat on the brown deck all summer.I will send some chair pictures out so you can see my plants' seating arrangement.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I stack bricks, boards, upside down buckets or anything else handy to raise potted plants to the desired height in the rear of a grouping and then place the pretty pots in front to hide it.

I also added a coulpe shelves along the fence to place pots on. I have seen the ladders used for this and like the look of it as well.

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

i grouped several in a corner of my porch along with some wooden animals, rubber lizards,some pottery, just whatever i happened to find that kind of fit--

Thumbnail by swtp15
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

We are soooo talented! Eat your heart out, Horticulture magazine!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

swtp! I have those cats, the ones with the funky tails. How funny! They're in my bathroom though, although I'm gonna think about moving them outside :)

I really like all ya'lls container displays-- makes my house look like a mess. But now I have some great ideas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.