Starting hyacinth beans from seed

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

What is the best way to start these seeds? I tried to start some indoors last spring and they never sprouted. I ended up purchasing a couple of plants. Aren't they supposed to easy to start from seed, a no brainer? ;)

My luck with starting anything from seed is nothing to brag about, but these can't be that hard, can they? Is it better to sow them outdoors?

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

For me they sprout super easy. Be sure to plant the white side up. Water, and place in sunny window..Here they reseed from year to year, and become quite a pest..LOL...Good luck
Larkie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You can get them going a bit faster if you soak them first or put them in a damp papertowel in a baggie for a day or so. I have let them until they get a small nub or root then planted them.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, soak over night. For indoor as well as outdoor starts. This is a summer-fall plant for blooming, so there is no hurry to get it going in the spring. A cold spring soil is not the best for starting.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you all. I am going to try again. Hope this time I have better luck!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Branka,

I just started some in Peat Pellets. Some of my seeds were 3 years old and they still germinated quickly. I didn't know about keeping the white part of the seed up so I didn't even follow that direction (but I will from now on).

They grow quickly, so I had to transplant them less than a week after they sprouted, so it was really a waste of the peat pellets. Next time I will start them on the wet paper towel baggie system and then put them in small pots.

I do think it is worth starting them inside to give them an early start. When I plant them directly in the ground, they don't bloom until late summer. The vines themselves are beautiful, but I like to see flowers sooner.

Good Luck ...... BTW my seeds are for Ruby Moon which I haven't grown before, I 've always grown the Purple ones in the past. I can't wait to see these flower.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

I used badseeds method and it worked! I have two dozen seedlings that need transplanting too. No more paying $3.00 per plant, woohoooooooo!

I saw Ruby Moon seeds at the feed and supply. I had them in my hand then put them back. I may go back and get some. Let us know how they do for you.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Branka,

I'd get them if I were you, I had to trade for them, as I've never seen them available in stores. I couldn't even find them online.

Ruby Moon - A special early-flowering variety with crimson-veined foliage and stems and bright rosy violet flowers fading to lavender and near white. The resulting beans are especially bright magenta and quite showy.

Forgot to add that I am only growing this one variety, as I think Hyacinth beans will cross. I want to save seed, so I don't want to take the chance of that happening.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2004 11:58 AM

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.